Please... I desperately need help to improve... just 5 minutes

• TMV World Legacy Member

Hey guys,

I am a long time lurker but I never post. I finally mustered up the courage to post a song on here. I really need help on improving my singing, especially my vocal techniques. I can't afford an instructor, unfortunately. However, I do take very well to constructive criticism. Please listen and tell me what I need to work on the most...and let me know what I am doing right (if anything) lol

Thank you SO SO much!

Mariah Carey - Without You

You definitely have sense of pitch. And wow, the song is quite demanding singing it an octave lower.

When you go up in the higher range, you lose sense of key here and there. And your ad-libs are pretty sloppy. Either avoid them for the time being or work on them slowly (slowing down the main recording, or get the sheet music; I'm not sure if the phrasing is written down there as precise, though).

2.14 is really off pitch. And from there on you keep having trouble staying in key.

There is hardly any presence of tilt in your voice. It's a technicality, but you are pretty flat. Try to make sound when you yawn and keep that sound when you first speak out the lyrics and then sing them. It will sound as if you are crying. Remember how you can configure your voice to be in this ‘cry mode’.

Obviously it won’t sound all that good in this new mode, but this is for training purposes. After some trying, you can let go a bit of cry.

I'm only laughing on the outside
My smile is just skin deep
If you could see inside I'm really crying
You might join me for a weep.

You need to learn the basics. Breathing & support.. Also, practice singing songs that are within your range - it is a good way to use what you have learned in a practical application. I will ling some videos. Master them. Try to find $ for at least a couple skype lessons with a good coach. You will get more out of a one on one lesson than you will out of buying a program. Check out Robert Lunte and Dan Formica. Both are amazing.

www.drop-head.com

You definitely have sense of pitch. And wow, the song is quite demanding singing it an octave lower.

When you go up in the higher range, you lose sense of key here and there. And your ad-libs are pretty sloppy. Either avoid them for the time being or work on them slowly (slowing down the main recording, or get the sheet music; I'm not sure if the phrasing is written down there as precise, though).

2.14 is really off pitch. And from there on you keep having trouble staying in key.

There is hardly any presence of tilt in your voice. It's a technicality, but you are pretty flat. Try to make sound when you yawn and keep that sound when you first speak out the lyrics and then sing them. It will sound as if you are crying. Remember how you can configure your voice to be in this ‘cry mode’.

Obviously it won’t sound all that good in this new mode, but this is for training purposes. After some trying, you can let go a bit of cry.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

This is the kind of advice I need. You're right in that I have very bad breath control and I'm trying to imitate Mariah's runs with lack of support. I have read a lot of tips on how to properly manage breath control, but I'm still struggling. What is your advice to keep in mind when I'm trying these types of ballads, and to not lose breath control?

Re: the tilt in my voice... I'm not sure what you mean by this. I agree with you that I am flat-sounding, though. I can hear it too. However, is your advice to pretend like I'm about to cry when I sing to give my voice more personality and tone?

Thank you for any further advice..

PS: Keith, I read your message too. I can't hire anyone right now, unfortunately. Thanks for listening, though!

Sing the chorus, but as if you are crying at the same time. It won’t sound great, but it is an exercise.

You could also try to do it yawning, again, just as an exercise. I hope you will notice a certain ease and a certain quality of your voice when you sing it while yawning or while crying and recognize when other singers are doing it.

Right now, you are hardly doing it, which makes your tone sound flat.

I’ll give you an example when I have the time. In the meantime, just try it out.

I'm only laughing on the outside
My smile is just skin deep
If you could see inside I'm really crying
You might join me for a weep.

Sing the chorus, but as if you are crying at the same time. It won’t sound great, but it is an exercise.

You could also try to do it yawning, again, just as an exercise. I hope you will notice a certain ease and a certain quality of your voice when you sing it while yawning or while crying and recognize when other singers are doing it.

Right now, you are hardly doing it, which makes your tone sound flat.

I’ll give you an example when I have the time. In the meantime, just try it out.

Ok, I have been trying it. I'll keep trying it. Thanks Manny! (May I call you that? :P)