No Me Hables de Amor - Kraken. After 2 weeks of discovering headvoice

• TMV World Legacy Member

I wanted to share with you this recording! To show you, guys how progress is going.. and of course because today I was in the mood for singing and I freaking love this song.

It is a capella, so just me and my tempo skills, heheh... I skip the instrumental parts always, because I get bored, lol.

There are a lot of parts where I am off pitch, but with time when I have more control over my bridging and muscle control over my headvoice I will do better.

The singer of this band has a very similar style.. so it was a good choice of a song, as I can't do a fat, big headvoice sound yet. He sings very light up there so I don't have to force anything too much either.

This is what I can do today. Thanks for any replies in advance :)

https://soundcloud.com/sebabergmann/no-me-hables-de-amor

No excuses. It might be a recording that everyone likes. Or, they won't find problems with what you did. It's like a double-blind scientific study.

If you tell people what mistakes to find, they will listen for what you mentioned, instead of just listening to the song. And they may not hear what you think of as a deficiency in your voice or singing ability. That's the blind part. For you do NOT sound to other people like you sound to yourself. So, not giving a bunch of explanation or excuses gets you a hearing that is more fair and balanced. Probably the hardest thing for some of us singers is to "shut up." ;)

But there is the flip side, too. People critiquing after they have had a bad day, themselves. Some are picky just to be picky. That is, there won't be anything technically wrong as far as pitch accuracy or relevant and relative volume. So, they will pick on your interpretation of the song and that provides endless fodder for "review." People that come in here are human. They can have bad moods and unleash it on others. And then, not apologize for it because now they have to admit being wrong and that is harder for them to do than to continue wearing the "mean" label. Some see admtting being wrong is weak. Not me. When I admit I am wrong, it means I learned something or, at the very least, I have "unlearned" an incorrect thing.

A book that fellow member Mssr. Remy LeBeau suggested, you should read. "Mindset" by Carolyn Weck. And no, it's not to learn about singing just by thinking about. It excuses no one from working. But how you approach what you do makes the difference. My admissions of being wrong is evidence of my growth mindset.

Anyway, all of that is to explain the various states of mind of people as they review what you do.

As for this song, I am not familiar with it but I know enough Spanish to translate "I don't speak of Love." I noticed that you "crash" notes but I have listened to you on other stuff where you don't. So, I assume this note crash at the end of a phrase is akin to band you mentioned and their version. I am not complaining. Just an interesting take. The Note Crash is that sudden descension in pitch at the end of the word or phrase. I used to do it a lot, without thinking about it. Fellow member Jonpall brought it to my attention and that, alone, helped me fix it.

Anyway, it sounds like you know the song well and I think you had good articulation.

ronws!!!

You make my day everytime you reply on my stuff heheh

Well, you have pointed a lot of things I have thought of previously. Funny thing that you talk about all those explanations... I am used to them, I like to go "naked" and expose myself this way. Maybe it is totally unconscious, I don't know.. I think it helps me grow in some kind of way.. makes me stronger.

I totally agree with you in that aspect of the "fair" listening to others. I am really going to take your advice from now on heheh...

About that "crashing"... I absolutely think it is something unconscious, due to the band and the singer I am so used to listen to. I have an intrinsic ability to copy, mimic, memorize singer's dynamics, articulation.. accents, mistakes too, for my demise, hahah So yeah.. it is this song/band's particular thing and I didn't notice I did that when listening before uploading, heheh. I will try to avoid interpreting "so close to the original" as far as I unconsciously do. I think in the future I, and my voice, will appreciate it, haha.

Thank you very much ronws for the input :P I am always eager to read your generally long, full of insight, sometimes humourus replies.

PD: "No me hables de amor" in english means "Don't talk to me about love" :P

You are right about the Spanish. I fouled that up. And I was doing good until that point. :mad:

As to your other point, I think it is the reverse. When you offer the excuses, that is not being bare or naked to others about your singing. That is setting up disqualifiers in case someone doesn't like your singing. Then, the bad review can be blamed on the problems you mentioned.

Posting without excuses? That is naked. For you are open to whatever review there is. If it matches what you thought, then you can agree with that. If no one heard the problem you mentioned, then it was all in your head and you have to open enough to accept that someone else's opinion, even their "that was good" opinion, is just as instructive as anything that was corrective in nature. That is, you should learn from all reviews, good as well as bad.

And trust me, I have been there, done that. Excuses prior to posting. Excuses after posting and receiving negative or corrective reviews. I am no saint.

And so some have quite rightly asked, in so many words; "if this was not your best effort, then why not wait until your better work on it is done and then share that?" As in, if you had a cold or whatever while recording a song and it creates a defect, then it is better to wait until the cold has gone before you record. Or acid reflux, or sinus drainage. Or, whatever ailment or problem confronts you. On the other hand, there is nothing wrong with saying "I have a problem, please listen to this." And then review the suggestions given and use it as a teaching lesson.

That is certainly why we are here, as well.

And my harshest reviews have come from when I just threw something together, not having fully prepared the song. For example, I have been singing and playing "Stairway to Heaven" for 34 years, full voice since about 1988 - ish. So, the song is in my muscle memory. And when I recorded it, it was well received. Except by one person who found no fault with that recording or performance, just me, in general.:lol:

So, be prepared for that, too. Don't do like I did and get reactionary. Let it go.

Anyway, juxtapose that with two songs I sight-read and recorded as I was sight-reading. "Full Moon" by Sonata Arctica and "Everybody Talks" by the Neon Trees. Between those two, FM is not important to me but I really like ET. However, no one wants to hear me fumbling through a song the first time. And I received some corrective replies for those and a few were quite good and informative.

And be prepared for doing your best and doing a great job and not getting a good compliment. Or any comment, at all. I have posted a few songs that never received a single comment, good or bad. Or only one or two.

The first time I posted "Live Like You Were Dying" by Tim McGraw, it received one comment, favorable, thankfully. I have gotten more mileage out of it using in threads about holding long notes. I have one in there that you can boil pasta by. :lol:

Thanks rowns :)

I don't know how old are you, but your knowledge and experience is invaluable.

Thank you so much :) See you around.

Keep rocking _\m/

I could be mysterious and tell you that I was born the year the Ford Mustang first came out. The year that the Beatles came to America and appeared on the Ed Sullivan Show.

I remember watching Neil Armstrong step on to the moon, live (minus the lag of transmission from the moon to Earth.) I remember when Glen Campbell, a studio guitar player, broke out on his own with "Wichita Lineman." When Led Zeppelin came out with "The Immigrant Song." I saw the movie, "The Vanishing Point" as a premiere release in a movie theater.

I remember riding on my step-uncle's new '68 Harley-Davidson Shovelhead, built like the bike, Captain America, from the movie "Easy Rider" (except that my uncle's tank was diamond-shaped, rather than tear drop.)

I'm 49 and my next birthday is in March. But I am always learning something about singing, just about every day. As will you. We are all "works in progress."

Man, you are a year younger than my dad :D

Ron, you are earning a place as a very influential person in my development as a singer, and philosophy of life hehe

It is so strange to learn this much, and to think about so many things in life just by posting a recording in a forum.

Well, it's not just any forum either, he heh..

I have read a loooot of things in this forum and you always appear as one of the most objective people around, with a lot of knowledge and information to share. And the best thing is that you share it without holding back, haha!

You are a great person :)

I am eager to show you in some time from now my progress, maybe it is not relevant to you hahah.. but without knowing... unconsciously, you are one of the people who has guided me, put me on the right track on this journey.. to develop the singer I am and will be, heheh.

Thanks again :)

Man, you are a year younger than my dad :D

Ron, you are earning a place as a very influential person in my development as a singer, and philosophy of life hehe

It is so strange to learn this much, and to think about so many things in life just by posting a recording in a forum.

Well, it's not just any forum either, he heh..

I have read a loooot of things in this forum and you always appear as one of the most objective people around, with a lot of knowledge and information to share. And the best thing is that you share it without holding back, haha!

You are a great person :)

I am eager to show you in some time from now my progress, maybe it is not relevant to you hahah.. but without knowing... unconsciously, you are one of the people who has guided me, put me on the right track on this journey.. to develop the singer I am and will be, heheh.

Thanks again :)

That's such a big compliment to me. Even though your dad and I are almost the same age (probably close enough to not really matter), you and I are the same. Discovering our voices. True, I have had more time on this Earth to make all the mistakes you have yet to make. But being able to tell you of the things I know teaches me, as well. I learn with you. Even if it's a result of trying to explain something that gives me a new insight, in the process.

Singers, like other musicians, and you are a musician by means of your voice, are always working on our craft. I am not "finished." Neither are you. None of us is finished. Each day, vocally, I am 18, all over again. I mean, yes, I use things I have learned. But my voice feels new to me, each day. It is my goal to follow the work ethic of Enrico Caruso. To concentrate on what I am doing, when I am doing it, whatever "it" is.

And even if you have something you are not ready to post, you can always send me an email. Click on the email thing under my avatar and it will be sent to my personal email. I am not a teacher of singing. I am an old guy who really likes singing and I have been singing a really long time.

So, advice that I give to you would as one amateur to another. Just like, if I were teaching you golf. I would show you the things I have learned to improve a swing or develope strategy for playing the game. (did you know the angle of the sun as an impact on the green, as you approach to putt to the cup?)

And bless you for having the heart of a singer. You will go far.