Cochise- Audioslave

• TMV World Legacy Member

This is my first full take of the song and probably my first venture into the no-mans-land AKA Passagio. If theres anything I can improve on, let me know. I have a bit of allergies still from the pollen in the air if my voice sounds a bit "muffled". I also choke on a few of the consonants in the song like Yuh, you know the usual suspects >.< but I tried to keep on going anyway, because that's the important thing.

Anyways I'm open to any kind of feedback so bring it on Internet :cool:

No but really, you guys don't have to mince words because I'm going to start taking vocal lessons soon for musical theater my next semester in college and I should have an idea of what to tell my future coach to focus on helping me improve.

http://snd.sc/1g9z5fBprobably

Yeah, that one worked.

There will always be danger in singing stuff from such an iconic singer. I speak from harsh experience, myself. I'll get critiques for trying to sound like the guy. Critiques for not sounding like the guy. Anyway, you have a different total tone in the mid-range, more covered or "dopey." I think Chris sings it a little lighter than you sing it, even with the rasp, but I could be wrong. And you have an awesome rasp.

To me, it sounded like you were a little more relaxed and fluid after the high note. Maybe you were apprehensive before, looking to that high note as an obstacle. Afterward, you could resign yourself for getting past the "hump."

Thanks for the feedback man!

I was actually doing it not to sound like anyone in particular, but to work on strengthening the upper mid-voice, plus getting a little bit more clearer on my vowels which you can probably hear me trying to work it out lol. This is just that point in anyone's range where you kind of have to blur the line between lower and higher registers and thats what makes this song a real tricky one. For me, I was actually trying "stretching" my chest voice to the limits the entire duration of the song which attibutes to the more "muffled" sound I guess. My throat really didn't hurt at all afterwards so maybe I wasn't shredding my vocal cords as much as I thought lol.

Chris had a slightly more nasal aspect of his tone thats really awesome but it was impossible for me because my nose was pretty stuffed up. I really choked terribly the very last "yeah." I don't think I ever held an E5 for that long before but whatever that did, helped my placement for the last verse and chorus.

What styles do you typically sing Ron? I'd be interested in hearing your sound ^_^

And I agree, I think you did a good job. And I would definitely say that you are less nasal than Chris. Yours, even with your rasp, sounds more like a legit singing. You have a "large" voice. So, maybe your warm-ups should only consist of E5's. :D Vince Neil claims that he warms up by going to the top, first. That's what he said, though it may have been misdirection. I think some singers like to keep some mystique about them. Increases their market share as the sole possessor of the unique voice.

Shoot, my sound, it's all over the place, here. But mostly, 70's style hard rock. Bunch of Led Zep covers. Basically, I am one of those bright and ringy tenors.

Anyway, I think you did a good job with your own unique style and sound. And you followed my golden rule that I try to live up to, which is to sing the song like you wrote it.

Like the old saying of borrowing a car. "Drive it like you stole it." Because driving to cautiously, you will freeze up and foul up.

So amiright to assume you've covered Dr. Feelgood @ one point lol. I also heard Vince used to inhale helium before warm-ups to get that timbral sound lol but that could just be rumors and if thats the case many "helium" tenors have went to that option :lol:

But yeah I've also noticed something weird after I sang that song. It seems like the higher you sing in chest voice the more it resembles your head voice. Is that because in the upper-mid voice, it starts to resonate more in the nasal cavity?

Once again thanks for the compliment man! I'll take that as a good sign lol.

Actually, I think, there is an element of nasal chamber in all resonance and in the higher notes, it is more responsible for volume because the wavelength of a high note is short and the spaces up there are smaller and more conducive to beefing up the frequency(ies) involved.

No, I have not covered "Dr. Feelgood," though I have sang along with it on the radio.

Rather than derail your thread, I should email you some links so that you can hear my sound, which is drastically different than yours, even if we can sing the same range.

Yeah, supposedly just a pinch of nasal resonance can add a lot of "cut" through your voice. I think Ann Wilson from Heart really focused her resonance on the front end giving it her famous "biting" tone on a lot of her belts.

As for "derailing" the thread no worries! I mean its not like I own the forum or anything :lol: Thanks again for your feedback & advice!

P.s I apologize for anyone listening that S*at a brick at the first second, I forgot the mic was on and I was warming up a little before I did the song.

P.s I apologize for anyone listening that S*at a brick at the first second, I forgot the mic was on and I was warming up a little before I did the song.

Yeah, I wondered about that. I had the volume on my headphones all the way up and that jolted me upright. But hey, that is evidently the warm-up you needed.

As promised, I emailed a list of several songs, more than you can listen to, in one day, depending on your schedule.

As I explained in the email, I consider it gauche, bad form, rude, whatever, to post examples of my singing, or for others to post samples of their singing, for applause or whatever, in a thread that is about the applause, accolades, or critique, of you, the original posting singer. Unless it is about the application of an idea. My first submission thread of "Live Like You were Dying" by Tim McGraw got almost no response. I have gotten more mileage out of it in technique threads about holding a long note. (I mean almost long enough to cook an egg by. I was showing off and I think I ruined the song by doing that.)