Question regarding how to actually sing.

• TMV World Legacy Member

Ok, so first off I know I suck I've had zero pitch recognition my whole life and it's a wonder I can play any instruments at all. But I've been songwriting and trying to do my own vocals for two years. When I started, all I could do was talk into a mic, now I can kinda sing but after any significant time period I painfully lose my voice, and I can barely speak for days. I sing loud but I know I don't use my diaphram and I sing from my throat. This is what I'm going for, seamless blending of distorted and clean vocals:

This is what I sound like now:

https://harderfordischarge.bandcamp.com/track/whats-your-name-this-time-demo-2

https://harderfordischarge.bandcamp.com/track/my-philosophy-demo

So I guess my question is what should it feel like when I sing properly? I understand what I'm doing wrong but I just can't apply it.

And also, if you come to the conclusion from those demo's that it sounds like I am singing right but just suck, please tell me so I can stop trying haha.

Remember this always, and forever, make the sign of the cross upon yourself. The note lives just behind the nose.

Anyway, this is some sweet and tasty punk. I remember when the Sex Pistols got banned from the BBC because they sang the song "God Save the Queen ('cause she ain't no human being.)" This is fresh, like that.

Also, check out Melissa Cross and her instruction on how to scream. I am not into screamo for myself.

But, believe it or not, I wrote a punk song. And it is not ready for prime time and not because of curse words but because of subject matter. I am master of the sacred and the profane. A 70's hard rocker with an appreciation of several genres.

Thanks so much for the feedback! I've been reading alot on singing technique and I know my nasaly tone is from not using my nose correctly when singing, but occasionally when I sing it feels like all my nasal passages open up and I can feel the vibration of the whole note through my face and it takes some tension off of my throat, but this is very rare and I can't figure out how it happens. Is this an indication of singing correctly or just another damaging way to sing? Unfortunately it's yet to happen when I'm recording but I know my tone changes when it does.

I like about what I listen from you. And I don't think you suck, I mean, for the kind of music you do it's pretty much we can ask you to do, and it's kinda enjoyable, my teenage years are gone at least 15 years ago, when punk music had one of the big edges but I miss that kind of music those days, that the must part of the music criticals judged badly in the past as trash music and now like it's very refreshing :) keep doing your thing and improving, you clearly do it as far as I can see in the last two links! you do it great! :)

Thanks so much for the feedback! I've been reading alot on singing technique and I know my nasaly tone is from not using my nose correctly when singing, but occasionally when I sing it feels like all my nasal passages open up and I can feel the vibration of the whole note through my face and it takes some tension off of my throat, but this is very rare and I can't figure out how it happens. Is this an indication of singing correctly or just another damaging way to sing? Unfortunately it's yet to happen when I'm recording but I know my tone changes when it does.

The vibration is the key. That is, let the sinus cavity resonate the note, it just doesn't have to escape through the nose. Use the sinus to resonate and let the note leave the mouth. And this is getting the note out of the throat and it is why you feel more relaxed.

When you warm up or even just goof around, do this. Sing the words hung, sing, rung. When you make the ng sound, that is where you should feel all notes.

I've sort of figured out what I'm doing wrong, and now I've realized my range is currently half of what I was forcing it to be before. Every time I'd do high notes I'd raise my larynx to pummel them out just with my throat, like in the chorus of the first song I posted. I'm starting to learn how to do the high notes using just the power of the air and not rasing my larynx, but it's tough, it'll take a few more years....

I've sort of figured out what I'm doing wrong, and now I've realized my range is currently half of what I was forcing it to be before. Every time I'd do high notes I'd raise my larynx to pummel them out just with my throat, like in the chorus of the first song I posted. I'm starting to learn how to do the high notes using just the power of the air and not rasing my larynx, but it's tough, it'll take a few more years....

Doesn't matter how long it takes. Days, weeks, months, years, you are on the right path.