My old Simple man cover

• TMV World Legacy Member

This is my old recording (I record this few years ago with one guitarist,in that time ,my all singing experience was few singing lessons with classical singing teacher),so what do you think? ps.My voice is now bit darker,and also now I usually sing this song in original key,this recording is bit higher,also now I give more power to chorus,and less to verse .... I will upload new one as well :)

http://picosong.com/kqD6/

or this one with bad guitar player(me) ,recorded when I already do have some singing expirience but still old :

http://picosong.com/Pzek/

which one is better?

I'm just a singer with a song, how can I try to right the wrong B)

I like the first link better. And it's amazing how the Shinedown cover has inspired so many.

The second, the guitar is out of tune, the meter is choppy. And the phrasing in the vocal line has too many crashes (deflections downward.) Maybe this version, you were trying to imitate Lonnie Van Zandt. But I liked what you did in the first link, better, just as a listener.

I think it's more of a hybrid version Ron between Shinedown (verse influenced) and Lynyrd Skynyrd chorus..

I also agree that the first version is better, as the vocals seemed more powerful and stable (and the recording sounded better)..

Cheers,

David.

Thank you guys!In 2nd link yea gitar part is awful ,but what about singing,I was trying to make more baritonish sound,because IMO my voice to soft for this song ;)

I think it's more of a hybrid version Ron between Shinedown (verse influenced) and Lynyrd Skynyrd chorus..

I also agree that the first version is better, as the vocals seemed more powerful and stable (and the recording sounded better)..

Yea,I use parts I like from both versions :) good ear man :D btw in 1st link my mic was pluged in guitar amplifier together with guitar :D

Hi Musician,

I wasn't paying attention really to the guitars.. However, I did notice what you said ;-)

In the first version, your natural tone had a ping to it. Although the most famous versions of this song have been sung by a baritone (high bari's), your natural tone shined through on #1.

The second version, which was still good, was more Covered / Muddy sounding to me (my opinion only of course).

Either one, you could sing in public confidently without worries...

** I don't think your voice is too soft for this type of song - IF you make it your own -- which in my opinion you did just that! You have to keep in mind -- like his music or not -- Brent Smith from Shinedown has a extremely powerful voice, and L.S voice has that characteristic tone to it ...

*** I really enjoyed listening to the combination of the two styles you did and was impressed on how well you managed to combine them smoothly.

If you want to build your power range, try holding back your breath when you are singing and really push down on the diaphram... Start soft and slow and eventually you'll be unstoppable..

Cheers,

David.

HI David,

Thank you very much for nice words,advices and opinion,very useful!

I really like that song,both versions,and I was always suspicious will my "tenor" be good enough for this big song.

So your words were very encouraging!