Cover (voice only) of "Do I Wanna Know" by Arctic Monkeys

• TMV World Legacy Member

24/F. Really working hard! Still new to singing, as of the last few months (eh, 2-ish). Started because I just love music (listening, but also trying to teach myself the guitar). Would love feedback on my latest cover (acapella)

Cover of "Do You Wanna Know" by the Arctic Monkeys: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjH6wvvtIEI&list=UU5UOwg_f-Ly3H5czb_aVVvA

I tried more vibrato in this one, not sure if it worked out? I also tried singing perhaps out of my range (maybe? aka at the beginning and the second verse, I think the hook and chorus were my strongest) and worried it sounds nasally. Thoughts? I also tried working on my breathing and holding notes longer and varying tones.

It sounds very, very nasal to me. Some people can get away with it, but in your voice, honestly, it was kind of annoying :c And I don't want to be mean at all, I just want to adress that you should work on it asap.

I'd really like to hear other's opinions on the matter.

Now, one way to fix that is to experiment with different kinds of "voices". Try to imitate Sylvester Stallone, or talk like when you have a cold. Or pinch your nose and try that the sound doesn't change much.

After you've experienced the different sensations try to find a balance.

It is more noticeable on your lower notes, and the nasality makes some consonants to sound weird.

Can you make a recording of you speaking the song? Maybe you are getting too much into "singing mode" and that could be a problem?

Idk, just waiting for your reply to see better what is going on :)

I was watching your other videos and got to this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NISn47tL-wc&list=UU5UOwg_f-Ly3H5czb_aVVvA

Here you speak a little at the start, and your resonance is much more balanced than when you sing. Try to keep more "mouthy" resonance when singing, and a bit of the vocal fry sensation you get when saying some words. It may help you to get better adduction on the start of some words.

Thank you SO SO much. It was so helpful. I definitely see what you mean by "singing mode." I try to sing completely different than how I talk. Honestly, the way I've been trying to sing so far is by imitating artists and by making multiple recordings of myself singing it until I "fix" things and feel happy with it, if it's the best I can do (in my mind). You've thrown out a bunch of words at me that I will need to look into (resonance, vocal fry, adduction), but that helps a ton. I will look up youtube videos on those things, since I can't really afford vocal lessons. I want to get to the point where I'm not "annoying" to listen to, because I do enjoy singing, a lot.

I know you've now heard me talking, but I did record myself just "talking" out the song, so see if that would help anyone give feedback.

But sounds like you got enough of an impression of my voice to know what's going on. Thank you for giving me so much to work with :3

No problem :) I am really glad I was of help.

I have been learning by myself and taking the sporadic lesson here and there, so I know how you feel.

I recommend you to look up these channels and names in youtube:

Kevin Richards

Jesse Nemitz

Daniel Formica

Vocal Power

Mark Baxter

Phil Moufarrege

and of course Robert Lunte

Look for all the material you can find of Kevin Richards, Jesse Nemitz and Mark Baxter ( these are the guys that helped me the most to find certain coordinations ) and if you have trouble understanding something they talk about, send me an email. I'll be happy to help. I am no vocal coach, but I have walked more or less the same path and problems you are experiencing now.