Please review&critique my singing : Judas Priest - Cathedral Spires

• TMV World Legacy Member

Hi all,

In this sample I have used lots of twang on all parts, distortion and/or growl on head voice for the main verses and growl on most really high parts.

I tried hard to learn the melody well to eliminate most pitch errors. It's a long piece and I apologize for that.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1781520/Vocals/JP%20-%20Cathedral%20Spires.mp3

Let me know what you think, what sounds ok / what sounds wrong etc. Any suggestions are welcome.

Best,

akarawd

PS. Most of the original vocals have been removed along with most of the center channel info - the song's volume has been reduced to a minimum and there are points were the song is muted.

PS2. If on mac/safari, you'll need safari 5 to view this link.

• 3 weeks later...

I think you need head voice training and maybe a better breath support. But considering it's a hard song you did it ok

[url=http://marcusilva.blogspot.com]Blog[/url] ɸ [url=http://www.jamendo.com/br/artist/Marcus_Rasseli]Jamendo[/url]

I think you need head voice training and maybe a better breath support. But considering it's a hard song you did it ok

Thanks for taking the time to listen, I appreciate it. Can you please be a bit more specific ?

If I know exactly what you mean and which parts of the song you're referring to, I can better myself and at a later date re-post it with the corrections.

I don't agree with mvrasseli. Sorry man :) Those comments sounded slightly like they came from someone who simply doesn't like this type of singing - in which case you'd automatically dislike it. No offence. It has light sound colour for the top notes and distortion. Many SLS people f.ex. would not like it. However, I think it ROCKED as heavy metal vocals and one of your best clips I've heard, akarawd! Great job! I also think it's time for us to hear a better mixed song from you where the vocals aren't that loud. I understand that you want us to hear exactly what you're doing and you're right, it does help us. But still it would cool to hear a great metal vocalist such as yourself mixed well with a band.

Here's one tip - one of the things I liked about this take is that the LOW parts sounded more confident than some other song I heard from you before (your high notes sound great - man you've got a great range. What's your highest usable note?). But perhaps it could have been 1% more confident, if you know what I mean :) Like having a very consistant air flow with no wobbling at all, ever (well, an occasional mistake is just cool, but I hope you know what I mean). So my suggestion is to sing like you OWN the room you're in, put your chest forward, think that you're the king of the world and just blow the house down with confidence and general metal-awesomeness. My 5 cents.

I don't agree with mvrasseli. Sorry man Those comments sounded slightly like they came from someone who simply doesn't like this type of singing - in which case you'd automatically dislike it. No offence. It has light sound colour for the top notes and distortion. Many SLS people f.ex. would not like it. However, I think it ROCKED as heavy metal vocals and one of your best clips I've heard, akarawd! Great job! I also think it's time for us to hear a better mixed song from you where the vocals aren't that loud. I understand that you want us to hear exactly what you're doing and you're right, it does help us. But still it would cool to hear a great metal vocalist such as yourself mixed well with a band.

Here's one tip - one of the things I liked about this take is that the LOW parts sounded more confident than some other song I heard from you before. But perhaps it could have been 1% more confident, if you know what I mean Like having a very consistant air flow with no wobbling at all, ever (well, an occasional mistake is just cool, but I hope you know what I mean). So my suggestion is to sing like you OWN the room you're in, put your chest forward, think that you're the king of the world and just blow the house down with confidence and general metal-awesomeness. My 5 cents.

Cheers Jonpall, that means a lot. I know exactly what you mean, I'm working on that, controlling my airflow better is a an absolute key point to getting more confident sounding results.

Thanks again.

You have some balls to cover this, haha. It's a hard song, indeed. You have pretty good range, nice screams!...but I think, in my opinion, you need to have a little more control of your voice, and even on a song like this, you have to sound "smooth" while putting even MORE emotion into it. The gritty stuff that Ripper pulls off on this song are lacking... so yeah, you need to add more emotion. Jeez, I suck at giving someone criticism, lol. But what jonpall said about having confidence pretty much relates to what I mean by adding more emotion. Hope this helps.

You have some balls to cover this, haha. It's a hard song, indeed. You have pretty good range, nice screams!...but I think, in my opinion, you need to have a little more control of your voice, and even on a song like this, you have to sound "smooth" while putting even MORE emotion into it. The gritty stuff that Ripper pulls off on this song are lacking... so yeah, you need to add more emotion. Jeez, I suck at giving someone criticism, lol. But what jonpall said about having confidence pretty much relates to what I mean by adding more emotion. Hope this helps.

Thanks for listening Stain and for the criticism, it's been taken under consideration.

What's your highest usable note?

I must have missed this when I read your post the 1st time, it's an f5.

The rest I use rarely - although it's good to know they're there.