Practicing bits of songs and improvising

• TMV World Legacy Member

Hey all! Long time no see :P

I've been working a lot lately, guys :) And just wanted to make a post to show the current state of my voice. I've improved lots since I started one year ago. I am aware of the cracks and stuff that happen here and there, but I was just messing around doing whatever da voice wanted. ( Please don't mind the out of context and dumb lyrics hhahah )

Please take a listen n.n

Well, yeah... some people percieve it like that because I think my voice is naturally airy ( which I don't like :/ ). If I don't have full chest adduction it sounds heady in a weird way, quality that can be mistaken for falsetto.

I think that between D-E5 it sounds falsetto-ish, but it is not un-adducted folds. My register between B4 and C5 sounds heady most of the time, because I have not built the strength yet, but I think it sounds cool up to A4 :) Not cool or chesty enough for what I eventually want to sing, but the road is long and I've got plenty of technique to build yet haha

Is there anyone else here with a voice similar to mine? Like, mellow and twangy with adduction issues? lol

Some thoughts/questions:

-Also, I read a long time ago here that twang has an effect in voices that have some kind of leaked air. The effect would be like a turbulence, a change in frequencies and noise, and physics stuff that I don't understand. I read this in a post discussing Sananda Matreiya's voice.

-Can this be happening also in my voice? Even in my lower and mid register I don't feel it sounds like other voices in terms of chestiness due to this "airy noise".

( In the low notes I do after the runs or whatever, the level of adduction is like the most I can do. If I pushed more it would start to stratch and hurt. )

^ Just ideas and questions to help me understand my voice better. No matter the answers I get I will keep working daily to be as chesty as I can get, becuase that's what I want.

Also to the people that says, get a teacher and whatever, I already have one. :)

I think part of it is falstto but mainly this is definitely a light mix. When polished, this sound can be nice to sing light things, but if you want to sound heavier, you will have to bring more chestiness.

What you are doing is already quite Advanced, but for leaked air in my opinion is a result of the chords not being fully abducted. I had the same sound, a bit less twangy than yours though. With the right exercices it will eventually strenghten.

sounds heady most of the time, because I have not built the strength yet, but I think it sounds cool up to A4 :)

Do you use this mix on A4 and before?

If you want to sound chestier, i think you will have to think about having at least A4 in full chest voice consistently when you sing and try to get up to C5 in full chest when you do scales.

It sounds counterintuitive, but after a while, you will notice that your mix is getting beefier through all your range.

There is a very bright and whiny B4 in pure chest in there, which is the highest I can go for now with that kind of weight. Also I am not doing it in a very Overdrive way, because it would sound VERY shouty and loud as hell, and also it makes my voice tire really fast. The other B4 I do in "Im running out of STREEEGTH", that one is a mix, and you can clearly hear the difference. :P

To me, both "i am running out of strenght" are mixed voice. The first one has a bit more meat but the difference is subtle. What i refered as "pure chest" would indeed be a very overdrivy sound on opened wovels (on the audio, you are using covered wovels, which automatically throws you in a certain amount of mix).

Yes, the overdrive must feel like very effortful at the beginning, and any vocal tract shifting (being too harsh on consonants) will make the voice yoddle in a bad way. But with the propper support and phrasing, you will be able to go up there. That may not be the sound you are searching for, but as an exercice it will help you getting a heavier mix.

This stuff is quite Advanced and it must be monitored and never be so harsh that you can feel it the next day.

You already got a good light mix and good head resonance. I feel what you just need now is to put just a bit more compression to the sound.

That one chestier I referred to was the first thing sung in the second audio of the playlist. When I say "Crown". It sounds pretty whiny.

I can get there and it is very easy to do if I try to balance it between mouth and nasal resonance, more towards nasality. If I did what I feel is the very shouty variation, which is almost pure mouth resonance that is when I say it sounds pretty loud and is more tiresome. I will try for two weeks to exercise the mouthy, more open variation to see what happens.

Ok i got it. Yep this one is great man. You are using here a more opened wovel, but not too splatty and shooty.

For the overdrivy exercice, you don't want to feel the sound stuck in your mouth. You want really feel like belting, but the sensation must still set high in the palate.

Aah! Thank you very much, Sange ( I don't know how to call you, haha) I thought I would receive a mail notifying any received messages.

Now also thanks to you I found that I have quite a lot of unopened messages in my inbox, lmao.