Some tips for going forward?

• TMV World Legacy Member

Hi all!

I'm fairly new to singing, but have been involved in making music for almost 20 years. I feel that my voice is ok, but as far as technique goes I think I'm at at point where I need some guidance to go forwards. Unfortunately there are no vocal coaches around where I live, so thought this might be a good place to get some tips.

Here are a couple of our songs:

'>

'>

• TMV World Legacy Member

You have a voice that reminds me of the guy from Molly Hatchet, which works well for the style of music you are doing. Though it is best to have some kind of program and even better to have a live and in-person coach (always the best for learning anything, from eggs benedict to brain surgery,) I can suggest that you think about singing the song instead of speaking it. That is, you may write lyrics as spoken but think about singing them, which can require using vowels a little differently than you are used to. Felipe shared a video in another section that show song-mapping, planning how the vowels and intensity will go. I mean, your recording is good and I don't know how much of the scooping and note crashing you have is intentional. Scooping is where you ramp up to a note from below and crashing is where you let a note fall at the end. Sometimes, it is done on purpose, like Bob Seger in the live version of "Turn the Page."

In some places, are speaking the lyrics on pitch, other times, you are singing. Which may be your intention, but as far as singing goes, it's better to choose singing.