• TMV World Legacy Member

You did so much better than me (last year or two years ago). Yeah you had the timing issues in the beginning, but it just takes some practice to get those right. I did not like it very much because you sounded nasal in the verses and lacked weight in the verses. But it is just my taste. Hopefully, as soon as I have some free time, I'll get back to recording, and I will try this song again, now that the range is not an issue so much. Although that A4 is a biatch! Keep on Rocking mate! 

For the choruses, they do sound a bit wailed and bent around. An exercise that might help gain some control in this area would be to do it staccatto first (short bursts) for each syllable.

And  

I  

Don't  

Want

The 

World    

To  

See 

Me

Cause

I

Don't

Think

That

They'd

Un

Der

Stand

Try to get each part of the chorus really solid in onset, get the pitch locked in without wailing from one to the other. I've found this exercise helps me a lot when working with a bridger section that makes want to shout and pull weight. I personally find it difficult to do really sudden repetitive shouts. It focuses you on trying to get the onset into the note clean.

If you have a guitar, or piano, or any other instrument, like the virtual piano I recommended for someone else:

http://virtualpiano.net/

You can find the specific notes and sing along staccatto. It sounds like this one is in D Major, so it would be all white keys, except replacing F with F#. This song sounds doable for you, but I'd work on it, cause it sounds like a great practice song with that high A there.

Actually, on listening again, I hate this version!! To me this is a deceptively tough song.  I struggle with quick jumps across notes.. The range is not an issue, but I think I need to work on the progression of the notes... 

Actually, on listening again, I hate this version!! To me this is a deceptively tough song.  I struggle with quick jumps across notes.. The range is not an issue, but I think I need to work on the progression of the notes... 

Try to break them up in order, one at a time, slowly, and then speed them up. There's that slide occuring.

I feel your frustrations friend. I totally agree with you! Even though I can sing Knocking on Heaven's Door (Guns version), Iris still gives me trouble on the chorus with that A4... Keep rocking man!

Toughest songs for me are the ones that suddenly mix belting through the passagio.  Like this song is relatively simple and all of a sudden, the A4 comes out of the blue.  I am not exaggerating.  I can actually sing some Maiden songs with a fair degree of comfort which have much higher notes.  But rock and metal singing has a higher margin for error(no kidding).  Learning how to bridge and sing high is a challenge.  But once you get through the tough part, the rest is tone.  Except really qualified listeners, slight variations in tone may not be obvious to the casual listener.  

Here it sticks out like a sore thumb when you make small mistakes.. 

Hey man, I know how you feel. I really do. Just so you don't feel bad here is the link for my first attempt at this song . Recorded in June 2013.

And this is me practicing in the kitchen strumming the guitar in April 2014, recorded on a cellphone. 

Cheers!