Love will keep us alive - The Eagles

• TMV World Legacy Member

Any Eagles fans out here, and especially Tim Schmidt(a k a Skeletor)'s voice?  Love this guys voice and this is one of my favorite ballads.. 

I have a much heavier voice than Tim(most I would think).. So for a long time, I was not sure how to sing this song.. I would try to sing like him and it would sound really whiny and nasal.  It has taken me a lot of effort to strengthen my head voice and get over this problem. 

https://app.box.com/s/h9d2lx05wxs5p0nxvdc1kiq4qqhmml68

Thanks to anyone who listens and drops in a line or two.  

Holly Shizzz! When you started singing, I swear I rewinded the song twice and cranked up the volume to make sure it was you singing Aravind! AWESOME timbre man! I never heard this song before, and if you told me you wrote it, I would believe you! Great cover! Pitch wise I think it was pretty accurate. Beautiful rendition, man! Keep rocking!!! 

I agree, well done, Aravind. I think it was originally written by Don Henley with his light and high voice in mind. And you nailed the weight just right. As good as the original.

Holly Shizzz! When you started singing, I swear I rewinded the song twice and cranked up the volume to make sure it was you singing Aravind! AWESOME timbre man! I never heard this song before, and if you told me you wrote it, I would believe you! Great cover! Pitch wise I think it was pretty accurate. Beautiful rendition, man! Keep rocking!!!

Thanks for your kind words. Took me a while to realise singing is as much about tone as it is about pitch accuracy. This I well within my range and a much easier song for me. At lleast here I post songs "just" outside my abilities.

I agree, singing is about tone, also. It happens to me and can happen to others when you sing a song for which you are NOT a tonal match, that can cause problems for listeners. So, it helps to decide how you are presenting the song. As a cover or as a tribute? To me, a tribute is where you are trying to sing as close to the original as is humanly possible for you. I phrase that most carefully. Some singers, you could work for years trying to mimick their sound and never make it. Not because that singer is unobtainable but because your voice is just made different. But you might get close, close enough for a tribute. This was that close, you sound so similar. So, how many decades did you train to get this light sound?

As opposed to a  cover, where you may change arrangement and melody line to suit your voice, singing and performance style. Like how Ronnie James Dio changed "Dream On" to fit his voice and it became iconic and singers started covering a cover.

Just like Shinedown did a really good cover of "Simple Man" by Lynrd Skyrnd and now you have singers covering the Shinedown version.

I agree, singing is about tone, also. It happens to me and can happen to others when you sing a song for which you are NOT a tonal match, that can cause problems for listeners. So, it helps to decide how you are presenting the song. As a cover or as a tribute? To me, a tribute is where you are trying to sing as close to the original as is humanly possible for you. I phrase that most carefully. Some singers, you could work for years trying to mimick their sound and never make it. Not because that singer is unobtainable but because your voice is just made different. But you might get close, close enough for a tribute. This was that close, you sound so similar. So, how many decades did you train to get this light sound?

As opposed to a  cover, where you may change arrangement and melody line to suit your voice, singing and performance style. Like how Ronnie James Dio changed "Dream On" to fit his voice and it became iconic and singers started covering a cover.

Just like Shinedown did a really good cover of "Simple Man" by Lynrd Skyrnd and now you have singers covering the Shinedown version.

I agree. What I meant by tone was about getting the best version of your voice. As an engineer I like to understand physics and maths behind sing. My understanding is like this. When your tone is good you have an optimal mix of the lower mid and high frequencies of voice. In my practice over last year or so this involves a delicate combination of right volume, open throat, right laryngeal position, mix of chest and head resonance etc. I am more evolved in my singing to be ble to apply this concept to relatively easier songs. Now if you want the same tone in a song with fifth octave notes the skill levels are far higher. Even in posts here I do a mix of easy songs and tougher songs. For easier songs I seek validation on tonality and on tough songs I seek suggestions on my technique. It really helps me to compartmentalise this way.