some song test I just recorded ... (Daniel Powter's Bad day)

• TMV World Legacy Member

well I'm usually tired when I come back home from work.

and it's the same today, but I currently can't live without singing at least once a day

I just tried Daniel Powter's song, I didn't practice it, it's my 2nd test today

I think I mess up the melody of the chorus, but beside that I just want to ask if anyone hears if I make any major or minor "mistakes" while singing

something along the lines of "if you go on like that it's bad for your voice" or "you don't support your voice very well"

anything that you might notice including pronunciation of words, vowels, S'ses etc beside maybe wrong notes ;D

Anything would help me :)

bad day_test2.mp3

I didn't hear any major problems and you already know you messed up the meter in the chorus, which is not the focus of my comments. Maybe I'm just having a good day. But I really like your voice and I love the accent. Screw american pronunciation. You added a great, unique flavor to this song. And I like that you sang it darker than the original. It seems to fit. In fact, I think you should have recorded this song, rather than the original artist and I don't think I have said that before, to anyone.

oh wow thanks ronws :o

that really surprises me! :)

someone once told me I should sing the chorus more happily, I still try to find out HOW I could do that, for me it "feels" like I already do that ...

if I can manage to sing the correct melody I'll make it a complete song try out of it ^^

Like I said, your accent and darker vowel modification gave this song a great flavor and I like your version better than the original, melody slip-ups aside. Really, I think you've hit a good stride and you have some confidence in your voice that will serve you well.

though this confidence is hard to keep up ...

often it's like I have a run, everything works as I want it to be/how I imagine it before singing

then I do something else, like checking eMail or even just looking out of the window for a moment and if I try singing again it's suddenly totally different and I need 20-30 minutes to get back to where I was when I had this "run"

I also noticed another thing I can't explaint right now:

if I sit beside the mic, not singing into it, but singing along with a song I hear using headphones

I sing along with the correct melody

now if I hit the record button -and sing into the mic- the melody I sing is different ...

so it's like without recording it I often do it right but not while it "counts" during recording

I'm not excited or anything when I sit here singing into my mic, but where's the problem?

though this confidence is hard to keep up ...

often it's like I have a run, everything works as I want it to be/how I imagine it before singing

then I do something else, like checking eMail or even just looking out of the window for a moment and if I try singing again it's suddenly totally different and I need 20-30 minutes to get back to where I was when I had this "run"

I also noticed another thing I can't explaint right now:

if I sit beside the mic, not singing into it, but singing along with a song I hear using headphones

I sing along with the correct melody

now if I hit the record button -and sing into the mic- the melody I sing is different ...

so it's like without recording it I often do it right but not while it "counts" during recording

I'm not excited or anything when I sit here singing into my mic, but where's the problem?

You have the same thing I have. "Red light" syndrome. When just singing casually, you are fine. But recording, the pressure is on.

but that's really weird, I'm all alone in my room and can record as often as I want ...

if I mess up, I try again, no one pushes me ...

hmm, I came up with 2 things: maybe I hear myself too loud and therefore might mishear what I do

or

I unconsciously concentrate too much on singing correctly which then distracts me from the melody

lol

oh, btw your name is Ron, right? I'm not sure that's why I address you as ronws all the time

but that's really weird, I'm all alone in my room and can record as often as I want ...

if I mess up, I try again, no one pushes me ...

hmm, I came up with 2 things: maybe I hear myself too loud and therefore might mishear what I do

or

I unconsciously concentrate too much on singing correctly which then distracts me from the melody

lol

oh, btw your name is Ron, right? I'm not sure that's why I address you as ronws all the time

Yes, my name is Ron. In the login ronws, w is the first letter of my middle name, and s is the first letter of my last name.

When I record, it is usually when my wife is at work and the dog is either quiet or outside. But I can still mess it up. For approximately the same reason as you. Trying to get everything perfect. When I perform a song live, I don't feel pressure. Little mistakes happen and you just roll right through. Plus, others tell me I sound fine, live and in person. But recording has problems of its own. And given the fact that this mic has given me problems, now and then. But, mainly, I've had to learn to stop and re-do something for recording. Live, you roll right through a mistake as if it was part of the song. In recording, you can't because the mistake is there for all time and sticks out like a sore thumb.

On the other hand, some of the members here who have produced astounding recordings did several takes, patching in and out of song with better versions and then editing together as a whole and then spending another week or so in the mix-down until it is polished like fine silver.

And that is what I need to do. Rather than just hammer it out, "live" and throw it at the wall and see what sticks. I get lucky with that, sometimes, but not always.

hehe I usually try to fake the "live" feeling when recording

I sing and then listen, if I don't like it I'll record it again

only if I'm happy with nearly everything I might re-record just a line or 2, but that also depends on the song, often I have to sing a whole verse to get into the correct mood of the lines I want to re-do

Normally, I sing the vocal track in one take. So, if I go from say a G# or A below middle C to an A5, that's the same song the same day the same track. Sometimes, I don't like a how an ending went and I will re-record the ending. But then, I end up using that as a model for practice and then re-record the vocal track, again, in one piece. I think the reason is because I always expect to perform a song live so I have to keep in training for myself how to execute the singing so that I don't get tired or injured.