Highway to Hell

• TMV World Legacy Member

This was recorded at my one of my band's gigs a couple of weeks ago.

As you can see, I struggle with the choruses (I can't maintain the vocal style for those parts :( ), it's not really the style that I feel most comfortable singing, but I think I did ok in places.  (apart from the very very end where I'm really flat on the scream and a few other places)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/thdiheoeelaucuz/14%20Highway%20To%20Hell.mp4?dl=0

Any feedback/advice/pointers on any parts would be really appreciated, as I struggle in general with this song (it takes a ton of water to get through it!)

PS - I'm not the greatest frontman in the world, so please excuse the lack of interaction haha!!

You got definitely more of the Brian Johnson vibe on the high parts, like a good scratchy falsetto.

I think songs like Thunderstruck would fit more your voice tone.

Thus said it wasn't bad at all. Would like to hear you on Hell Bells or something more Brianesque

Now that is irony. A guy with an Aussie accent not all that familiar with other AC/DC stuff. Well, I guess that's okay. Brothers Malcolm and Angus were from Scotland and so was Ronald Scott, nicknamed "Bon" because he came from the bonny hill country of Scotland. Brian is from England but his father is from scottish ancestry, so that helps.

I kind of agree with Quentin. You have more of a Brian Johnson sound, if one were to pick which singer you are closer to.

By the way, you guys did an awesome job. What I have found from singing that song for a really long time is that the chorus is not higher than much of the lyrics and certainly not as high as some of Bon's pyrotechnics in the latter part of the song.

But really, you are singing it as he did. The rattly parts were higher and the chorus was a bit cleaner.

Now that is irony. A guy with an Aussie accent not all that familiar with other AC/DC stuff. Well, I guess that's okay. Brothers Malcolm and Angus were from Scotland and so was Ronald Scott, nicknamed "Bon" because he came from the bonny hill country of Scotland. Brian is from England but his father is from scottish ancestry, so that helps.

I kind of agree with Quentin. You have more of a Brian Johnson sound, if one were to pick which singer you are closer to.

By the way, you guys did an awesome job. What I have found from singing that song for a really long time is that the chorus is not higher than much of the lyrics and certainly not as high as some of Bon's pyrotechnics in the latter part of the song.

But really, you are singing it as he did. The rattly parts were higher and the chorus was a bit cleaner.

Ronws - Thanks very much for your comments (my accent is actually English hehe!).  

I've had a listen to your version of this song and I must say your vocal sounds far more controlled and refined than mine, I always feel like I'm on the edge of losing control when singing this one as it's such a strain :-(  I'd like to somehow harness the control you seem to have.

Jonpall - to answer your questions, I'm not 100% sure how to describe how I get my voice like that.  I have a naturally gravelly singing voice anyway (think early Bon Jovi), and I have to really force it to sing cleanly.  For the ACDC stuff I kinda reduce the space at the back of my mouth by having my tongue relatively high, and I push the vocal from my throat.  It's the sort of thing I could probably demonstrate in person but putting into in words is really difficult!

I'm actually singing that in full voice/full volume.  I find it's easier to sing if I reduce the power, but it doesn't sound of feel the same so I go full tilt.

Ronws - Thanks very much for your comments (my accent is actually English hehe!).  

I've had a listen to your version of this song and I must say your vocal sounds far more controlled and refined than mine, I always feel like I'm on the edge of losing control when singing this one as it's such a strain :-(  I'd like to somehow harness the control you seem to have.

My bad, I thought I heard an Aussie twang in there for a moment.

And thank you for the compliment. I know I don't sound like either Bon or Brian. But that is MY song and I will not stop singing it. Even if everyone said "Ron, for the love of humanity, please stop."

I like AC/DC for the attitude and the basic blues.

And  you've got some nice rattle. I wonder how you sound on "Shook Me All Night Long," a Brian era song. Then, again, whatever you can share with us from your performances will be good, I think.