Opinion on my singing?

• TMV World Legacy Member

Hi Wes. I quite liked the tone of your lower notes, before the higher stuff starting at 0:24. It sounds like you're pulling chest up and constricting (I hear tension there) on the higher stuff, and trying to maintain the original vowel sounds. You need to relax the throat, keep it open, and adjust your vowels (I hope others on here will chime in on that, as plenty would explain it better than myself). Your support sounds good, so that's good. You have a nice voice there, just needs to be tamed ;)

Are you working with any vocal programs etc?

When you open up on the high notes, it sounds great. Modifying vowels is a necessity when you sing high notes. And the one falsetto note "carry on" was brilliantly placed.

www.drop-head.com

Your singing tone is very pleasant to listen to. The beginning seemed a little nasal, so make sure you are not letting the sound come through your nose unless the consonants are nasal. You can work on this by lifting the soft palate more. The "ng" consonant is great for this. The focus should be on getting that good nasal resonance from the "ng" consonant then going back and forth between an open vowel and the "ng" The exercise will be something like this. NG, Ah, NG, Ah, NG, Ah, NG, Ah, NG. This exercise can be done with all of the pure vowels. You can also vocalized with the tongue between the lips while keeping the throat open.

I wasn't too fond of the disconnection at "life has just begun" you can fix this by vocalizing in that area with lip rolls over and over again then do some sirens between the big intervals, but make sure you try to keep the sound connected. Don't worry about breaking just keep it connected and embrace the break. The more you embrace it the sooner it will start to disappear.

At the "But now" of the song the tone and the placement was perfect, but then you allowed tension to creep in by pushing too much breath pressure and squeezing the tone. Then you finished out the song very strained. If you focus on really engaging your lower body and relaxing the throat you will make a lot of progress. Try focusing on the neutral "uh" vowel when you get to the higher pitches. This vowel causes the larynx to lower slightly which will allow the sound to resonate more.

Descending slides in head voice will help to strengthen the lower portion of the head voice which will help you to balance out the action between the chest and head.

"verum ipsum factum"

I did not like it man...

The posture is all too high, your larynx is comming up and you are strainning from the very start, does not sound natural. Look for a coach, start working on breathing and support and adressing these problems first, before thinking of passagio and singing this kind of material.

As a immediate tip, think more of a yawn, will protect your voice somewhat and will relief all this pressure. This is not nearly enough to sing this song with quality and comfort though, you have a lot of hard work ahead of you.

GL.

Thanks so much for your comments! As i've never had any lesson I'll try to use your advice, and also look for a coach.

• 3 weeks later...

I would recommend working on your falsetto a bit and it seems as if your break is troubling you which is normal for many singers. Practice singing scales through your break and try smoothening it out a bit. Otherwise good work!

www.singyourstuff.com

Maybe I'm deaf or something but I think your timbre is reminiscent of that of Bono of U2 sometimes :D I've come to such a conclusion after having listened to your vocal cover entitled 'diamonds' :D Anyway, keep it up bro and keep practicing. Greetingz :D