Snax- The Sentinel redone.

• TMV World Legacy Member

Before I give myself a much needed vocal rest I wanted to redo the song "The Sentinel" by Judas Priest. I gave it everything I had on this version and like it much more than the first one I posted a short time ago. Still room for improvement of course but I had fun going for it knowing I'm going to take a break over the weekend at last.

https://files.me.com/muskysnax/01uzk0.mp3

"GIDDYUP!"

The screams are unreal and the rest is as halfordish as it gets. I too liked it more than the 1st version.

So how do you cope with your dual personality and when will you start on the painkiller album ?

Seriously, I'd like to ask you how you feel around the passagio when you slide down with the halford rasp.

Is it a completely different feeling to the BJ one ? What other sensations have you noticed, if any ?

Keep'em coming,

Thanos

Thanks guys! I'm going to try some tunes from the Painkiller album soon Thanos. I've actually been working on the song Locked And Loaded from Halford's Resurrection album. That one is going really good but I do need to force myself to take a few days off.

As for the different feeling between the Halford voice vs Brian Johnson the Halford rasp requires a lot of support and is more of a full voice. The Brian Johnson tone is more of a reinforced falsetto and I can't bridge into chest with it very well yet. I'm hoping to be able to sing with the Brian Johnson voice deeper into my range which will let me sing some more AC/DC than the few I've done thus far.

Funny that you mention the Halford screams because, believe it or not they are very easy for me to do and I can unleash them right from the second I wake up in the morning! Sometimes I'll let one rip just for a laugh while I'm having a shower. My girlfriend isn't quite so thrilled with all the screaming though! Ha,ha,ha!

"GIDDYUP!"

I agree with Thanos. Not much more that I can add. Of course, I've already accused you of being Mr. Halford and hiding behind this "Mike" persona from Canada.

Answer to the trivia question I raised in another thread. Where was Mr. Halford living when Mr. Tipton first talked to him about rejoining the Priest?

Arizona. Tipton was passing through and stopped to visit and talks led around to it and voila, return of the Metal God.

Here's the raw vocals for you. This might help you hear the rasp effect better. I do feel it in my soft pallet. You can hear me really pushing my voice to the limit on this song! If you skip through the blank space in the middle and get to the second half of the vocals you will hear where I did some edits to get the phrasing right. Unfortunately they were done in a hurry and are painfully obvious! lol

https://files.me.com/muskysnax/0pr45l.mp3

"GIDDYUP!"

The number one goal if you want to sing like Halford is to first develop a powerful, clean head voice. Then it's a matter of adding grit for effect where you want to. If you just blast away out of control you'll wind up with swollen vocal folds and no power after a short while. Wish I would have had this knowledge back when I was gigging! Man I put my voice through a lot of stress back then!

"GIDDYUP!"

Then, you need to be gigging again. Only, this time, you can sell cd's and musky lures and bait, at the same time. Hey, Ted Nugent has his own line of hunting and fishing gear. You could do it, too.

The number one goal if you want to sing like Halford is to first develop a powerful, clean head voice. Then it's a matter of adding grit for effect where you want to. If you just blast away out of control you'll wind up with swollen vocal folds and no power after a short while.

101% right. There was a thread about tim "ripper" owens in the technique thread where that was stressed.

And it shows in your recording, there's a big difference from the BJ sound.

PS. In the healthcare thread , there's a post about tonsils and tonsillitis - I think you'll be able to relate.