Ellise wins Grand Final singing Back to Black - Amy Winehouse cover

• TMV World Legacy Member

I'm happy for ya. That said Elise and winning contest is not a surprising title.

The only thing I will say, is that I enjoy both the original, and this is a great version and I know why it won, but a possible next step, might be to pull apart even a bit more from the original. 

The beginning has quite a bit of Amy quack, it kind of trails away from it and goes a different direction. But part of the reason why people love Amy is she did that quacky thing and it worked really well stylistically and originally for her, with her phrasing and was a really fleshed out identity.

You are good enough you will likely find some success as a singer regardless, but if you want to be on top of the world, I think developing a persona is the key. Lady Gaga sang for years as a nobody, but it was only once she developed the persona that it fully took off. It can be a combination of visuals, stylistics quirks unique to you in your vocal habits, (Gaga does this honky nasal sound, that's arguably an ugly sound, but makes her distinguishable to me, even a casual listener).

So it's something to think about as you move forward. The foundation is there and imo it is likely you will find some kind of employment as a singer in your lifetime if you seek it out, but I think there is potential for mainstream success as well and it might be something you could create as an artist, rather than be manufactured by record companies if you distinguish yourself and develop the 'persona' of the artist.  

• TMV World Legacy Member

Ellise, the great thing about where your at is the incredible voice you have developed at such an early age. I had to sing on stage for quite awhile before I feel I developed my onstage persona. I am naturally kinda sci-fi geek guy lol and can be very silly but to take command of the stage took me a bit. Although I can already see the improvement in that department in your case and you still have time to grow into that kind of thing :) Still super proud of the great work you doing and putting yourself out there in these competitions is a great way to develop your "non-vocal" sklllllllz