"Something" - Beatles Piano Vocal Cover

• TMV World Legacy Member

I hope everyone had a great holiday. I've always loved this song, and it's a bit difficult to sing, so tell me what you think...

Travis

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIHRmHJKUvw

"There is no bad music, only bad listeners."

As usual I really like what you do.

I see you are experimenting with your new mic and interface. What kind of recording software are you using? I think you could bring your vocals out a little better with some compression and maybe just a touch of reverb; and put your piano on another track. That's if you are wanting to polish it up a little.

Hope you put up another version of "Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Me" with your new equipment. I've been practicing that song lately and found it helpful listening to your interpretation. I love the way you do the lyrics!

Actually, I'm using some type of cheaper midi interface. It doesn't have any equalization options, or presets, and I record directly to youtube through my webcam. Can anyone suggest a good third party program to use as an equalizer? Or maybe do some video or audio editing? At first I was just eager to get my mic and piano through my computer, but you are right. Without proper equalization, and a good preamp.. I am sort of floundering.. I'll take any help I can get.

Thanks for watching, folks. :D

Travis

As usual I really like what you do.

Hope you put up another version of "Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Me" with your new equipment. I've been practicing that song lately and found it helpful listening to your interpretation. I love the way you do the lyrics!

I plan on it yes. I don't know if my version can help too much. lol. I am trying these days to get closer to the originality of the song, instead of venturing off on my own. It comes from growing up as a kid and "remaking" all the music i heard to fit my own flavor and style. It adds flair sometimes, and people like a twist, but a good mimic isn't a mimic until he can recreate with a little more.. precision. Lol

Actually, I'm using some type of cheaper midi interface. It doesn't have any equalization options, or presets, and I record directly to youtube through my webcam. Can anyone suggest a good third party program to use as an equalizer? Or maybe do some video or audio editing? At first I was just eager to get my mic and piano through my computer, but you are right. Without proper equalization, and a good preamp.. I am sort of floundering.. I'll take any help I can get.

Travis

I don’t know anything about youtube but I would think you could record your sound thru an audio interface (keyboard on one input and vocals on a second input) into your recording software (sequencer). After you have your final mix down the way you want it, you could export the file and there should be a way to splice in the new audio file with your video file before uploading to youtube. Maybe someone will chime in if they know how to do it or a better way.

I have a fairly basic setup using Firebox as my Audio Interface (2 inputs with preamps) that connects to my laptop. The Firebox came with Cubase LE (sequencer) software.

I do know youtube now has several different qualities for uploads, including hi def and stereo. If you were trying to max out, you would want to upload at a high quality.

It’s kind of a pain trying to learn all this recording stuff, but you slowly get better and better at it. I’m a long ways from it but keep making progress. There are a few people on the board really good at it.

Keep experimenting. :)

Thanks for your help, Quincy. I really appreciate it. Firebox you say? I got some kind of TASCAM midi interface. It's alright, but it's very strait forward. Nothing to really "tweak". I guess I could just look for an audio editing program to try and get some equalization.

_Travis_

This is some REALLY great stuff man!

I absolutely love the vibe your giving out here!

If I was to say anything I would say that in my oppinion it lacks a little bottom just as you approach the higher notes 1.19-1.22 in the song, the second time you sing "I dont know", I would personally try to put more (can u say balls?) on I and DONT then aim for a (just a little longer) straight note on Know and end that longer "know" with a nice downward spiraling vibrato (little rnb touch).

I see now that u use a shure sm57? Maybe thats whats making it sound like it lacks bottom for me.

5 out of 5 !

EDIT EDIT EDIT!!

Now I found it! lol, something that I would really want you to try for yourself!!

As I was saying with the "I dont know" part, try to aim on a really high note on "dont" the second time you sing it, move up in your higher register and allow yourself to crack on the note (high crack or low crack, try both) I think that would be fantastic!!

I like your sense of phrasing. Not hurried or pushed. In the same spirit as the original. You felt a bit left out that you didn't discover this song until the movie "Across the Universe." That's okay, as long as the new generation (yours) continues to appreciate fine music, I have hope for mankind. Then again, I remember when Uriah Heep was big and I'm waiting for "Easy Livin' " and "Stealin' " to be re-discovered.

My Firebox is an Audio Interface that uses a firewire connection to my laptop. It works pretty well, but it seems to be a crap shoot whether it will work with any particular computer or not (I’ve had problems trying to use it with a different PC and their tech support boards are full of people who have problems with audio dropouts). It also has a midi connection which I haven’t used but would be cool if I had a keyboard. There are other brands of Audio Interfaces that use a USB connection to your computer. But what all these AIs do is give you inputs and outputs for mics, instruments, Midi and other type gear. They usually have preamps built in on a few of the inputs for stuff like mics and guitars, etc. These different input channels are then recorded into your software on separate tracks. The software has all the tools that you use to tweak your recording; add compression, reverb, EQ, and other effects to your separate tracks. You then set the volumes for each track so they fit together with the right balance and you mix that down to a single stereo track.

Most PCs have crap recording inputs with no preamp. A decent brand AI typically has a higher quality 24 bit recording vs. 16 bit, decent preamps and better analog/digital converters compared to most PCs.

How are you hooking your mic up and does it have a preamp?