Iron Maiden - Speed of light

• Review My Singing Membership

Hello

Recorded this on smule today. Its a very hard song to sing because during the chorus it is a C5 in there. I tried to experiment during the chorus with distortion. How does it sound to your ears? Does it sound good or bad?

http://www.smule.com/recording/iron-maiden-speed-of-light/713794929_525954354

WP_20151106_001.jpg

• TMV World Legacy Member

Hi Simon, I think you actually got a good voice for hard rock and metal, but you sound very constrained/chocked up in this song, especially in the higher notes. Additionally, because of the way you are singing, you are having pitch problems on the high notes. If I may humbly suggest you that if you are really passionate about music and singing, and you seem like you are, consider learning and practicing vocal techniques with either a good vocal coach or a singing method. Keep on rocking!

3 hours ago, Gneetapp said:

Hi Simon, I think you actually got a good voice for hard rock and metal, but you sound very constrained/chocked up in this song, especially in the higher notes. Additionally, because of the way you are singing, you are having pitch problems on the high notes. If I may humbly suggest you that if you are really passionate about music and singing, and you seem like you are, consider learning and practicing vocal techniques with either a good vocal coach or a singing method. Keep on rocking!

Yes its a hard song to sing without choking on the high notes. I am a baritone and the c5 is the hardest note.

WP_20151106_001.jpg

20 minutes ago, Simon Öhlund said:

Yes its a hard song to sing without choking on the high notes. I am a baritone and the c5 is the hardest note.

Yes, I agree it is a hard song to sing indeed. But You are singing constrained throughout the whole song, and you are not singing the highest notes, just using distortion, probably because the straining became unbearable, and you chocked. That is exactly why I suggested you to learn good technique, so you would be able to sing the songs you love. Additionally, being a baritone (even if you really are) is not the reason why you can't sing those notes my friend. It is simply lack of technique. You can believe me because I used to have the same limitation. The difference is, as I didn't know about tenors or baritones, I used to think my voice was not made to sing those songs. Cheers

Hi Simon, I think it sound better, but you are off pitch in some places, especially in the chorus, when you also sound the most constricted. I would like to add that your voice really suits this kind of music especially in the medium notes. You just need to learn how to transition to the higher parts (bridge your registers) and also practice it a lot to create muscle memory.

• Administrator

This isn't maiden... its priest.

The recording is really hard to hear.

Are you training Simon? 

What are you doing to train your voice and get stronger? Do you work on scales and proper techniques for 30 to 60 minutes a day?

• Administrator

Your Maiden:

- Its pitchy, you need to work on intonation.

- There seems to be a little bit of TA strength here, but your not lifting your soft palate and there is a lot of pushing and not enough resonance.

- Are you training?  If you were training good bridging and connecting techniques you would be learning how to free your voice and resonate better. I hear a lot of throatiness, a lot of pushing, no resonance.

- You are also, I think subconsciously, trying to sound like Bruce Dickinson... there are nuances here that seem to sound like your trying to have Bruce Dickinson sound... Don't do that. You need to sing the song in your own belted voice.

... you need proper training ... 

Can you please paste in a link of you doing a slow, ascending siren from A3 to A4, through your passaggio. I want to see if you have the coordination and skill to bridge and experience any resonance at all. I want to see if you are training. Lets get to a real solution to help you, instead of reviewing smule clips that don't sound good. You need a reality check Simon, let's get serious. 

1 hour ago, Simon Öhlund said:

Well i think it sounds good. I dont care if it sounds off tune or off pitch im gonna sing this song tomorrow infront of an audience. Diamonds and rust.

Simon, this is not the first time you say something like this! So, if you don't care, or if you think it sounds horrible (as you mentioned a few times in other threads), why in the world should we spend our time reviewing any song from you?! Several people, including myself and Robert, have already told you in different threads that you need to train seriously if you really want to improve your singing. If you are not willing to work hard to overcome your technical difficulties there is no point in posting the same songs over and over again. Have you noticed that no one (except me and Robert) took their time to comment on this thread? As I've been here for some time, I can tell you that is not just their busy schedules or that they are being mean to you. It is simple like that: if you are not putting your time on this, they aren't either. Peace

It doesn't sound crappy Simon. But you are definitely not connecting your registers. You start with oh in relaxed (probably unsupported) tone, and then you switch to eh and falsetto/head voice. And in the other recording you are straining and not doing a siren or slide. You just yell the note. You have a good voice, that is why I suggested you to learn technique, so you can sing the songs you like without choking. I think that you will not improve if you just keep singing songs without learning and practicing the correct techniques and building strength and muscle memory. All the best

I am watching Robert Luntes tehcnique about lift up and hold back where you bridge between your chest voice and head voice without choking and pushing. But it's hard to make it sound good. I want the tone to sound less yelling.

WP_20151106_001.jpg

It is actually called "lift up and pull back". But yes, it is one way of doing it. As I am not familiar with the technique I cannot help you with that. I would suggest you to, if you can afford, to take a few lessons with a good vocal coach (several right here at the forum) and or get a singing method and train hard. Cheers