Singing with Rhinitis Part 2

• TMV World Member

Hi it's me again. :)

Please go to this link to hear me sing

https://singing-with-a-deviated-septum.tumblr.com/post/166724849854

The pain is not in the following song. But after singing it six times the pain registers again.

I have registered two pains. 

1 sore throat 

2 sore neck

I personally believe that diaphragm breathing alleviates the second pain but not the first. Cause that feels like a flu. And that's my main problem with my allergies. I can push through neck pain but not throat pain. My doctor said drink tea & take lozenges, exercise 30 minutes a day, warm up before singing, get rid of the dust causing my allergies. wash my sheets in 70 degree water. 

I have done all of the above. But the sore throat is still here. Even if I talk excessively at work it hurts, right now I'm healing my throat with lozenges, because of a 7 minute call I had with a friend. This has never happened before. 

I'm sending an email later today to my doctor. But I really wanted to post this version in the interim, to get feedback am I still shouting as opposed to singing?

I tried incorporating the belt into the singing, but I felt I was only able to do that when the note wasn't complex e.g "whaaaaaat" at the end vs ("half of it, this the life I live" section).

Thank you for helping ❤

• TMV World Member

obviously I am not a doctor...and I have never had allergies. You say you saw a doctor....was it an E.N.T. doc?

the singing itself is VERY light. If you always sing that lightly, it will be sort of hard to relate to a lot of singing advice you may come across. I dont hear anything in there resembling any type of "belt" at all and I dont really hear anything that sounds 'supported'.  This is the kind of singing someone can do almost without breathing at all.

As a long term goal, id advise you to learn to support and simply start singing "stronger" for lack of a better term. I dont see how you can develop any muscular strength and coordination singing as light as that example. Even styles such as Bruno Mars have to have a certain amount of strength to hit some of the notes with clarity. Of course for Aretha or Whitney or Chaka or BoyzIIMen, you will have to be very strong etc

of course if you are having vocal health/allergy issues then obviously the singing will be affected.

I try to do a lot of light humming as a type of therapy to relax my vocal cords and obviously there is a limit to how much one can sing or do singing training. There has to be a balance of stress (singing, training, talking) versus relaxation, therapy, hydration etc etc. Talking on the phone or talking at work (loud warehouse) hurts my voice more than singing

That being said, you show good control and skills so thats a good start. Im gonna guess you are probably 25 Y.O. or younger? Why do I guess that? That is sort of the modern age group that places WAY too much emphasis on doing "runs". They do a few runs and think they are some kind of outstanding singer. If you take a Chaka or Prince or Stevie Wonder, there is much more there than a bunch of "runs".

She is pretty light thru this song, but listen to the end where she uses a bit of power. And this is nothing for her.

if you always sing light and sort of airy you will never develop the strength to get that kind of bright edge

Im wondering if singing lightly all the time can actually irritate your vocal cords? Dunno

• 3 weeks later...
  • TMV World Member

Hi Jon Jon 

Thank you for the advice.  

Yes it was an ENT.

By support do you mean breathing? If so I was under the impression I was using air at the ("whaaaaaat") mark (my poor attempt at a belt :mellow:). 

This might seem a silly question but how does one incorporate support (breathing exercises) with actual lyrics (actual singing)?

I sing that lightly cause it hurts to use more volume. 

Quick question do you understand my thought process in terms of the sore throat vs sore neck thing? If so am I completely off base with my thinking?

Thank you in advance.