Something different?

• TMV World Legacy Member

Haya.. I am aware that there is work to do.. There are many great artists on here and I have alot of respect for anyone with the heart & guts to Express and Connect.

I don't have band experience.. so to speak. My friend plays randomly and I just sing along with whatever he does.. we are now in the initial stages of forming a band.. people seem confused as to the output or our sound.. my voice and lyrical content. Some like it others seem baffled or in a state of thought for a time afterword??

This is about the sixth take of me singing it.. and I refuse to use effects other really than a bit of reverb. So these are raw.. I don't know what the lyrics mean.. it just flows that way.

Not sure if this is going anywhere.. and I will keep posting random short takes for your amusement.. Ha

So critiquing or any insight is great. Thanks

http://www.box.net/shared/t3ludp5njd

Lyrics?? just made this..

Sounds like:

Cheap pants & a one night stand

You see him movin.. it's all a Scam

Final love Soul Man

He got a river in his own land.

Suppose it could be about a Player, who contracts HIV.. then goes to his Happy place.

I will change these lyrics as they are just random sound Scape tools & words.

http://www.box.net/shared/b276mff7cx

There's cool potential, really. I'm not too fond of the controlled breaks in the first clip, though you manage to somehow make them sound coller than you would think.

Why aren't days 32 hours long ? <_<

I don't understand much of the terminology, or know how to read music.. thanks for listening.. I am listening to you.

Jim will sometimes play for an hour and he seems to be a constantly changing Riff Machine.. so when it hits me vocally.. I give him a "that's it Jim" then have to quickly blend and adapt to his timing. Most of these are just some takes from about 5 minutes into one of his Virtuosos of Riffs. Sometimes 5-10 riff Change potential song material, comes out of an hour.. we sometimes do 3-8 hrs on the weekends, for almost a year now.. if it's worth it I don't know.

I am laughing toward the end of this one because it sounds so different live.. after five minutes of this kinda Chant Rock bit.. you just want to laugh.. I am following and blending my vocals with the guitar in alot of the material.. I think that may be giving it an unusual sound?

http://www.box.net/shared/charkebl7r

Thanks I need it straight-up.. I don't damage easily.. Har. You are right!.. I have to control my voice to match the distance & level of whatever he has it set at.. so finding my optimal setting.. that seems to be elusive. When I'm in it people around are like Whoa!.. and when I have to rapidly adapt or compromise within seconds.. it can sound off.. so alot of this stuff has me substituting as a secondary instrument of sorts as I sing.. sometimes this strange OFF can become hooky as some have mentioned they cant get the song and the unusual vocals out of their head. I realize this is an odd way to form ones voice though?

The guitar is playing chord progressions. Riffs are usually single note or double note short melody runs. You vocalization, now that's riffing. Especially as you are not settled on a particular melody or series of notes in the later stuff.

Nothing wrong with what you are doing. Sometimes, the best things come out of just freestyling (it's how Alanys Morrisette writes her stuff.)

On the first track, I could hear a little David Bowie and on the other tracks, it was more like Jim Morrison in both voice tone and melody.

It's a gift and a curse to learn to sing against an electric guitar. A gift because you must learn volume to be heard. A curse because you must learn volume to be heard and end up bring that push too hard in your upper notes.

Wow!.. great insight.. absorbing it all. Think you are right about the Guitar. Someone mentioned the Morrison thing before.. and I was trying to get away from it.. and purposely alter my style.. but in the throws of a Jam.. it seems to be the end result. A good friend of mine always thought we had a similar mental/writing Landscape.. before I sang.. any suggestions as to sound different from Bowie/Morrison.. Lou Reed was another one?

Some of my stuff:

Splendid, beautiful and slow.. the final flower brightens as it reaches to surround the conviction of it's fragile existence.

I hope I am right about the guitar. I've only been playing guitar since October of 1974. I sang along with it, then. But I've only worked seriously on my voice since 1988.

Whoa!.. lots of Music Time in there Ronws!.. do you have any original material on here?

Another Experiment:

http://www.box.net/shared/l1z5z5cz0j

Yes, Stonekind, I do.

If you will allow me;

"Gimme Some Time" by Ron Stone, copyright 1990.

http://dl2.dropbox.com/u/8750209/Gimme%20Some%20Time.mp3

As to your z-mix nov 1, immediately, my first impression was a Stone Temple Pilots vibe and you were making a clean impression of Scott Weiland. Of the submissions so far, I like this the most and if you could more in this style, I think you have found an excellent niche for yourself.

This is a little HICK like. Most of the lyrics are made up on the spot, during a jam... and I am not sure where I'm going with the vocals on this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAHIMCX2mpk&NR=1

Archived