Welcome your help

• TMV World Legacy Member

I've uploaded a song finally... My first try was aweful, I really didn't put a good foot forward, my apologies to all.

At any rate, I've recorded a song written ad sung by Tom Waits on his Mule Variations album, titled Take It With Me. This was a one-take deal (after a fitful start, granted). I'm playing guitar while singing. I recorded into Logic Express 8, then added a little reverb on my voice (hopefully not too much).

As I listen to myself, I sound like I've got a mouth full of marbles. Also seems like the emotion ebbs and flows; that's likely because I'm playing guitar, hard to chew gum and walk at the same time... At any rate, I hope this is enough quality and a decent song to show my typical performance. It's always hard for me to record in a room with no audience.

I've put the song on my TMV page: http://www.themodernvocalist.com/profile/SeanAOnion

Thanks for any feedback and direction, :)

shunyun

Amateur. Root word is Amore... I sing for the love of singing.
http://www.themodernvocalist.com/profile/SeanAOnion

• Administrator

Ok, there it goes... Nice voice. I like the song too... I think its pretty.

I would suggest that you get in touch with the "dark chocolate" inside your lower tones... you sing a low note.. but if you put a little bit of space in the pharynx and blow more air, you can get richer, darker overtones and i think that would feature your pretty voice better.

I would also work on the rhythmic cues, its a bit slushy... some play is ok, but I would tighten up the starts and stops more.

I hope this helps, and thank for joining TMV... keep 'em coming.

Thanks Robert. Yeah, I'm a bit intimidated by those lower tones; I'm work on that and record some more.

On the rythmic cues, do you mean I'm sounding like I'm not sure where to come in or cut off?

Amateur. Root word is Amore... I sing for the love of singing.
http://www.themodernvocalist.com/profile/SeanAOnion

• Administrator

Not saying you aren't sure... you probably are, just pay attention to it and tighten it up.. the starts and stops... right. phrase starts on the beat, ends on the beat. tighten it up.. .pay attention to the details.

• 2 weeks later...

shunyun, you sound pretty good; the song I listened to on your page has several areas with pitch problems...I think once you can identify your pitch problems, you will have a renewed confdence in what you are doing. You have a bit of a restriction as you reach your higher notes...You need to relax a bit more and develop a stronger core. Singing properly takes time and a lot of work and concentration in th ebeginning to do it properly...just like any kind of work out. If you put in the time and work out your voice you will be 10 times better.. I suggest finding a good vocal warm up routine, work with a voice couch that can watch you and show you how to sing from your diaphram...You obviously have the passion so I would take it a setp furthere and worl with a local professional or select a voice professional on this forum taht may offer video Skype vocal lessons...

It won't take much. you should invest in your voice.

Byron

www.myspace.com/brtempleofsound
www.vamacoustics.com