What a brilliant Idea

• TMV World Legacy Member

This is a fantastic idea! I only have audio at the moment, but would really appreciate any help :D

www.myspace.com/pitchsmusic

Thank you

Stacey

Hey analog,

Thank you for taking the time to listen and leave a great comment. It is one of my favourite songs - ever, although not recorded quite the same as the original.

I am very very critical about my own voice and was in two minds whether to post the link, but figured what the heck :D

I'm so glad you enjoyed listening :D

Stacey

I put a couple of songs on my TMV profile page.

http://www.themodernvocalist.com/profiles/profile/show?id=375l3v97m92wy

I hope the link works as I would really love some more critique

Thank you :D:D

Stacey

I'm no expert, Stacey, but IMHO you have a beautiful voice. Can't say anything about your technique or offer any critique, because I haven't a clue about such things. I only know that it falls quite pleasantly on my ear.

Hello lwood,

Thank you for taking the time to have a listen and thank you for the lovely comment. I'm pleased you enjoyed it.

Stacey

:D

HI Stacy, sounds very nice. Your voice is very pretty. To improve I think you need to work on core strength and project a bit more; I think there is more in you than what I am hearing...its eather you are holding back or a little unsure about your potential beyond what you are doing. Big yellow Taxi is very evident that there is very little support and power.

Look for a good vocal warm up and a voice coach in your area that can help train you to properly project and sing from th ediaphram. I call what your doing surface singing, you have more to offer below and on top of the surface...It takes a lot of singing and practice to get it right.

Killing me softly again is a easy song for you to sing well well because you have a soft pretty voice; but it does sound weak to me...not enough support.

It is not pro level is what I want to say, you have a very good amature voice that could be pro with work.

Byron

www.myspace.com/brtempleofsound
www.vamacoustics.com

Hi Byron, thank you for taking the time to critique. I can't believe you picked up all that from my recordings - that's amazing :D I'm going to start working on core strength, support and projection as soon as I can. I suspect it will also help in the long run with power. Thanks again for taking the time to listen and critique.

Stacey

• 1 year later...

I thought I would resurrect my old post as I'm thinking of covering Dust in the wind. Any thoughts on suitability of the song for my voice? Thanks guys :)

I listened to "Big Yellow Cab" and "Both Sides Now." And it takes me way back. Both songs were favorites of my mother. And she would sing along with them. Now that I think about it, everyone in my immediate family sang. Sorry, just digressing into a personal memory.

I didn't hear anything wrong with the performances. I don't give a flying flip whether you sounded like the original artists or not, though you were pretty close. You won't ever sound exactly the same because it is genetically impossible and if necessary, I will link in some hairy scientific articles to prove that.

You did them just fine because you did them in your voice. Execution was perfect. So, you have a soft, pretty voice. And your take on it was just as valid.

I am reminded of the Metallica version of "Turn the Page," originally by Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band. And I like the Metallica version just as much as the original. Because they did it in their own "voice," collectively. Same with the Metallica version of "Whiskey in the Jar." Even though my own version is closer to the original version published by Luke Kelly and the Dubliners.

What if someone convinced Joni Mitchell that she needed to sound like Liza Minelli or Beverly Sills or Dion Warwick?

If I were you, I wouldn't change a darn thing. I'm so (blankity blank) tired of judgements levelled because a person doesn't sound like the original, etc. The only way out of that, as one other member said, is to perform your own stuff. Until then, singing a song in your own way is just as valid.

I, too, have done a cover of "Dust in the Wind." In my own voice, not trying to sound like Steve Walsh or any one, just sounding like Ron, which happens to be my name. So, if you do it, I don't expect you to sound like Steve Walsh, or Anne Wilson, or Mariah Carey. I totally expect you to sound like Stacey. And if it sounds somehow "softer" than the original, big flipping deal. It was an acoustic ballad to begin with, with a somewhat wistful philosophy of the fleeting nature of our existence. As long as you bring that emotion to the table, you're spot on. I say go for it.