Me singing "Bad moon rising"

• TMV World Legacy Member

Great tone and good pitch! The only critical comment I could say (that is nitpicking) would be to really deliver the meaning of the words more. Your rendition is sang very well technique wise but i felt it could have had more of the ominous feel that the lyrics suggest. Again, that is being nitpicky from a performance viewpoint but your vocals are performed very well indeed. :cool:

"GIDDYUP!"

• TMV World Legacy Member

Thanks, guys! Snax, that was a very good comment. I don't think I gave that much thought. I was probably thinking mostly about the sound of the notes and maybe not as much about the meaning behind the words. This will help me in the future, so thanks, dude! :)

• TMV World Member

Jonpall:

It took me a moment to get the CCR tone quality expectation out of my head, but I enjoyed the performance overall.

However, I heard some vocal rawness that made me uncomfortable. Some of the onsets were rough when IMO they did not need to be for the song. Yes, they work ok for 1 tune. But (this is just me, I think) would get under my skin if used consistently in a longer set.

So, one thing I would suggest working on is the _beginnings_ of some of the the notes, especially when the vowels are short (for example , eh, ih, uh...) so that the tone begins clearly and has no ragged edges... goes right to the core of the clear phonated vowel.

Style-wise, I think you are singing too conservatively. This is a coastal honky-tonk song, but I cannot see the girls in jeans and cowboy hats kickin' yet to spite the storm. The 'bad moon rising' is an ominous sign for a coastal town... means their double-wide shared with cousin billy-bob may be in another county by morning. :-) Bring that sense of immediacy to the song.

Best Regards, Steven Fraser