First time I ever sung...

Rate this topic

I stumbled across my old web site I had aeons ago... Back then I played a game called "Ragnarok Online", I was quite obsessed.. So I made a song in tribute to it... The lyrics won't make sense to anyone who haven't played it...

BUT! This is funny because, this was back in 2006 and the first time I EVER recorded anything.. I had just gotten a guitar from my friends and I could not sing nor play... Recorded with a $2 table-stand mic in segments with windows recorder haha... Oh the nostalgia...

http://home.no/goanime/Geek.mp3

And in comparison, 2 days ago;

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/65223416/SnejkSLY.mp3

Höhö... Back then I could not hit a middle C without my voice cracking... -_-;

Show off. You had a good voice, even back then. The only rough spots were your hard consonants and hard r's. Both of which you have modified.

Sheesh, I don't know if I can find the cassettes I recorded back in the late 80's. I strengthened the range I now have in 1988. Even if I could find the tapes in and amongst the monstrous vinyl lp collection, I'm fairly certain the would just about disintegrate if I played them long enough to convert to digital. But, like it you, it was a few songs I had written myself. One of them I remembered and recorded last year using my computer. But whatever sound I had back then is lost in the mists of time.

Voice?? Dude.. Really... You call that voice? xD I was pretty much ashamed of putting it up, considered deleting this thread a few times even, haha... No control, pitchy, weak, airy, unsupported, wobbly and unreliable... Herp derp..

I would love to hear how you sounded in the 80's, back when you were a dashing young lad, living the dream in every young woman who crossed your path and subsequently uncrossed their legs... Back when you sported a rocking hair-do, much like the old stars... It was the time of rebellion and you always wanted a horse called "Shiver", and a fantasy of yours was indeed riding into the pub with your six-shooter loaded and ready to reduce the ruckus, readily remaining rooted, reminiscing radiantly regarding ragged rugs... Ridicilous! Anywhooo, back then a horse was not an option so you got your license, you went to the car-dealer and found the second half of your heart not in a woman, but in an old chevy.. Sure she had seen better days but handy-man as you were, you knew that with some loving touches she would take you wherever you needed, not only at a greater pace than Shiver would ever dream of amounting, but also with style...

Oh yes Ron... With style...

i have to agree with ronsw...as far as my 1st recordings go, ive heard far far ......FAR worse lol

also being an original tune was super cool.

Nice to see a fellow RPG nerd lol

very nice scorpions cover as well

Sound Very close to klaus on this.

Very nice highs!!

Oh, thanks I guess, haha... :3

I think the two songs are just.. MILES apart... At least I hope so! xD I did what I could not to sound like Klaus but I guess it's inevitable, he's got a truly fascinating voice and perhaps the only "nasal singer" that I have a man crush on xD

I don't think the first one was bad. I just think it was different than the latest one :)

Your tone was there, your pitch was good, the song was a little unsure is all.

It's kind of like a hot chick who answers the door early in the morning after being woken up, She may look a little rough at that point and you can easily think she isn't so hot. But all the elements are there if you look close, she just needs to be cleaned up :D

Your first song lacked a little confidence. Your last one was bursting with it. The first one just needed a shower, some nicer clothes, some fixing of the hair and maybe a little makeup That's all! :D

I guess there is a core that is indeed "the voice"... I would just feel so bad if I wouldn't have improved over these 6 years, you know? The amount of practice and effort I've put in would have been very wasted if I was just as good back then as I am now... Ah the dilemma of insecurity! :o

Ohh, that was cool! I've recently learned how to do twanged falsetto as well! For some time I thought on it as cheating, but I don't think that anymore. It's a cool, loud (just as loud as all of my other vocals) falsetto that sounds metallish. What is wrong with that?: D

I guess there is a core that is indeed "the voice"... I would just feel so bad if I wouldn't have improved over these 6 years, you know? The amount of practice and effort I've put in would have been very wasted if I was just as good back then as I am now... Ah the dilemma of insecurity! :o

Improvement is what we seek isn't it? Constant improvement. But don't try to forget your beginnings because in many cases, (imo) what learning is about, at least partly, is a better understanding of the beginning.

One of my favorite quotes is this by T.S. Eliot

"We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time."

Voice?? Dude.. Really... You call that voice? xD I was pretty much ashamed of putting it up, considered deleting this thread a few times even, haha... No control, pitchy, weak, airy, unsupported, wobbly and unreliable... Herp derp..

I would love to hear how you sounded in the 80's, back when you were a dashing young lad, living the dream in every young woman who crossed your path and subsequently uncrossed their legs... Back when you sported a rocking hair-do, much like the old stars... It was the time of rebellion and you always wanted a horse called "Shiver", and a fantasy of yours was indeed riding into the pub with your six-shooter loaded and ready to reduce the ruckus, readily remaining rooted, reminiscing radiantly regarding ragged rugs... Ridicilous! Anywhooo, back then a horse was not an option so you got your license, you went to the car-dealer and found the second half of your heart not in a woman, but in an old chevy.. Sure she had seen better days but handy-man as you were, you knew that with some loving touches she would take you wherever you needed, not only at a greater pace than Shiver would ever dream of amounting, but also with style...

Oh yes Ron... With style...

When I was a kid, video was hand shadows on the cave wall in front of the fire and most lyrics were easy to remember as they were all along the lines of "ugh."

And hey, if we are going to quote poetry, I'm gonna whip out some D. H. Lawrence. Many people have heard it without knowing it. Poetry and art are passions for actor Viggo Mortensen.

He played the Master Chief Petty Officer in charge of bud/S in the movie, "GI Jane." (By the way, I am using the correct terminology, not the ranks and designations they use in the movie.) The person in charge of bud/S training is usually a master cpo, equivalent to master sgt in the Army, it's a non-com rank and you do not ever say "Sir" to a non-com. Anyway, bud/S is what most people may know as Navy SEAL training. And you will never see them salute anyone. Any time you salute a superior rank, you are painting a target for the enemy on that person. Better to never get in the habit. Enough trivia; he welcomes the cadets to Hell Week, which is usually the 4th or 5th week into the training program and is designed to simulate the stress of active combat, with some poetry from Lawrence.

"I never once saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. Even a sparrow, freezing until dead and falling from a branch never once felt sorry for itself."

hooyah .... but I digress.

Well, Patrick, no reason for you to be all alone. This recording is not really old. In fact, it's only a few years old. But I am king of the crappy recording.

This was recorded with the old guitar on my cheapie desk mic. So, I can't, as I used to do, blame the mic for my problems singing this song. I mean, it's okay as a scratch track. A scratch track is simplified vocals to help the other players in the band have a rhythmic guide to phrasing for their parts so that they can do their fills and whoop-te-do's and not compete with the lyrics and vice versa.

I did the effects this morning, having saved the project (audacity is an .aup file (audacity project)) back when I recorded it. And, for once, I adjusted the vocals as a lower volume than the guitar, instead of even with it in numerical value. Learning to use my ears instead of my eyes.

Two different tracks. One guitar, one vocals, both recorded with the desk mic ($14 USD at Office Depot.) On this recording, I like my guitar playing way better than my singing and I don't think I will be alone in that assessment and it hurts my feelings not in the least. Crap is crap and you can't really polish a turd. But I wanted to experiment with mixing stuff on aduacity so I thought what better to exercise my fumblings on than one of worst vocal takes I have.

I tried reverb on the vocals and I have learned how to tame that effect but it just didn't fit this. I chose phaser on the guitar track and the artifact produced it's own wind noise, which kind of fits the intro of the song. This is one of those times where I wished my singing at least met the level of my guitar playing, which is not spectacular but solid enough for accompanying myself.

Parts of this song were a passaggio problem for me, so I went soft to avoid more pitchiness than I already had.

https://www.box.com/s/9acaa466fd8b13b33d0b

I sing this song way better now. And some have noted that I seem to seemlessly transition with no audible break, for there is a passaggio, even for tenors. But that is only because ole' Lazy Ron has been working on technique. And this is before I really concentrated on ironing out the break.

rofleren, you have a choir? xD I would love to!! It's a shame we don't live in the same country :P

ron, the "life's a never ending wheeeeel", was that in head voice or chest? Your voice.. Even back then it was amazing.. :3

If you want to be a part of my virtual choir one day,

the lyrics are:

"We will be the saviours of our land

Never-ending glory; peace at our hands

Nothing shall extinguish our flame

From the dark horizon, shine the amber day"

I think it's going to be an awesome song. We've made some really cool vocal melodies. Can't wait to be able to sing them =P I've considered to mabye ask some from TMVF if they want to sing a verse each, but it's my bands first song, so most likely the lead vocals will only be me. It would be cool though.

rofleren, you have a choir? xD I would love to!! It's a shame we don't live in the same country :P

ron, the "life's a never ending wheeeeel", was that in head voice or chest? Your voice.. Even back then it was amazing.. :3

Thanks, Pat. "Wheel" starts out in head voice and then I let a little "chest" sneak back in for the word "say." I was doing it naturally before I read about in Frisell's book. I just didn't have the words to express it, like Steven Fraser. "Letting the big dog out to play, just a little.