Me singing part of Open Arms

• TMV World Legacy Member

Any good tips on the fastest way to build power in middle voice? It feels like its got more power than it sounds like but obviously ive got a long ways to go yet? Lol! http://soundcloud.com/tenor-abe/audio-recording-on-friday

While I agree that staying relaxed is important, the act of singing louder suggests trying harder which suggests straining. It's more about resonance and vowel modification.

www.drop-head.com

Yeah i know its about singing louder. But you can only put through as much air as your vocals allow before your mix is fully developed right??

This sounded very heady to me, with really no mixed voice at all.

Pushing too much air is like benching 300lbs once. your are sending the correct air to actuate your muscles, but you aren't training your muscles to get any better at singing high notes. So before you go pushing yourself, take the resonance advice, and work note by note by note, till you get good at that.

and your mixed voices comes primarily from your diaphragm, And putting mix technique into head voice takes tons of practice, something that opera singers spend years on learning.

But I can Feel that im still connected to my chest voice. It just feels very weak. Its def not like im locked in falsetto or anything. But yeah i totally know what you mean it sounds heady. Thats my problem!! And if i need to work note by note tell me how to work note by note like dover said. Advice please!!

I think you had a good tone, Abe. This song is in it's original form is not meant to be sung like David Coverdale or David Lee Roth, nor is it a wagnerian aria. It is a light song meant to be crooned, which you were doing. However, lighten up on the r's. And words that end in consonants, lighten up on those, too, for a more legato and softer feel, as this song seems to deserve. Unless you want to make a baritone howler out of it, which might seem at odds with the original intent but art is fickle.

The things you want your voice to do (sing journey) is what all vocalists want. There is no fast way or easy answer. Get a coach or a vocal program . There is not a post or even 20 posts anywhere that is going to tell you exactly what you need to do. It's a process, and it takes time. Start with the basics. Breathing an support. Developing full voice in your entire range takes dedication. To put things in prospective, I dedicate 2-4 hours a day practicing, and I don't have that full voice yet .

www.drop-head.com

The things you want your voice to do (sing journey) is what all vocalists want. There is no fast way or easy answer. Get a coach or a vocal program . There is not a post or even 20 posts anywhere that is going to tell you exactly what you need to do. It's a process, and it takes time. Start with the basics. Breathing an support. Developing full voice in your entire range takes dedication. To put things in prospective, I dedicate 2-4 hours a day practicing, and I don't have that full voice yet .

And to add to Keith's post, I have been singing a really long time and started to really work on it in 1988. And every day, my voice is new, to me. Just today, singing along with the radio on a fairly easy song, I could hear a few spots where I was off on intonation and corrected myself, something I had not noticed before.

So, keep with it, have patience, do your best and rejoice in what you have.

Ya Abe, you shouldn't think by any means, that your voice is "too heady/low/cracky etc". I guess my post was sloppy, but the "note by note" thing was just an idea to help with head voice coordination. keith and ronws have very good points here.

Yeah thanks for the advice! My voice has actually improved by leaps and bounds since i found out there was more to singing than straining with the 2 octives i had LOL! And my goal isnt to be an operatic power tenor or anything. My real singing hero is actually a southern gospel tenor by the name of Eric Phillips. Here is a clip of him singing Keeper of the Keys. I know there probably arent any gospel fans on here but the voice is Insane!! http://www.sonictap.com/song/695015

Archived