Checked my range, but not sure

• TMV World Legacy Member

Hey Guys.

I am a 35 year old male.

After playing with my piano and singing the notes using LA, i found out i can do the following:

Start at F3 and go up to F6

That being said, I have no idea whether I am using falsetto or not, and I am confused whether this is my range or is it a lot less?

Would love to hear what you think.

Thanks

"Like stars across the sky, we were born to shine!"

Well, it's not uncommon for a singer to have 3 octaves. It is also common for an untrained singer to start out with 1 1/2 octaves and training takes them to 2 or 3 octaves. Opera-wise, you mainly describe a fach within two octaves. On average, a tenor is C3 to C5, which certainly describes me though I can sing to a C6. Ceratinly, A5 to B5 is within my usable range and I have done that recently, for a song submission. And your description puts your top note at least half an octave above mind. It may feel like falsetto up there, whether it is or not.

Because, after about D5, the resonating space for that note and higher is so small that there is not enough room to resonate overtones that give distinct vowel sounds. All the vowels sound the same up there and it is a tonal shift than many seem to equate as "pure head voice." Even though they are actually in head voice to some extent from about E4 to G4 and up.

A range such as you describe, might be considered at the very least, tenore leggiero or castrato, opera-wise. But fach is not just range but texture or tessitura. When you say piano, do you mean an actual baby grand or full grand piano? Or a keyboard with octave switching? Piano in standard tuning where A4 is 440 Hz? And C4 is the middle C of the keyboard?

So, looking forward to hearing you.

Hey Ron,

:) Its just a pure casio wk3000 keyboard with notation on it in the display.

Its getting late here, but tomorrow ill record me with the piano from the low to the high so you can tell me what you think.

You sound like you have quite some experience in the field. Are you a vocal coach? Are you a trainee, and if so, what program did you use, or method should I say?

Thx!

Voc-Al

Hey Guys. I think you are right, and I do think I am in falsetto up there. Happens automatically though.

Here is a sound link of me playing the piano note by note while singing with it. I think I started as you said in F2 and ended up in F5. Its really confusing all these notes.

Here is a demonstration:

THanks!

VA.

It's good that you're not forcing it!

You just need to get a bit more compression at E4-F4 and really cut back your air and you'll be getting a nice voice up there.

It's good that you're not forcing it!

You just need to get a bit more compression at E4-F4 and really cut back your air and you'll be getting a nice voice up there.

You say that as a joke?

I feel I am forcing it at the end.

Regarding the breath support. If i cut the air pressure, i loose the voice. It seems I dont put enough air. This is one thing that very frustrates me as I have no idea whether I should add more air, or use less air....

When you say get more compression at E4-F4 you mean?

Thanks

VA

I checked it with my guitar, in standard tuning. F2 to F5, though with many notes missing in between. But still, spanning 3 octaves is a good place to start. In fact, just iron that out and you can sing pretty much any song ever written.

Compression, meaning mainly more vocal fold adduction or less air in the tone. And don't confuse air in the tone with the air that you press to get the higher notes. That's two different things.

But you are off to a good start and it may not take you as long to smooth your "rough" spots as it might others.

I checked it with my guitar, in standard tuning. F2 to F5, though with many notes missing in between. But still, spanning 3 octaves is a good place to start. In fact, just iron that out and you can sing pretty much any song ever written.

Compression, meaning mainly more vocal fold adduction or less air in the tone. And don't confuse air in the tone with the air that you press to get the higher notes. That's two different things.

But you are off to a good start and it may not take you as long to smooth your "rough" spots as it might others.

Wow.

I must tell you, after 6 days of SLS exercises, I had to do a recording session of 2 songs. Usually, my voice would crack out on me and give me a hard time half way through the session, but yesterday I was able to complete 1.5 sessions! Thats about 6 hours of intense singing without getting any indication that I need to stop. THis is amazing! :) How more productive! :)

I really hope I can smooth my rough spots. Don't take if it takes a while either. I just want to get the most out of my vocals.

Ill post the songs once they are mixed and mastered so you can hear.

Back to doing some SLS before todays recording session.

Cheers!

VA

Hey Owen.

Thanks for the post.

That is exactly what I think. Does that mean Its not achievable to get a full voice where It changed to Falsetto?

There are many baritones that can sing notes in the tenor range. Just as, I am a tenor but the lower end of my range is in the middle of the "baritone" range.

But you've already noted that you are not concerned with how long it takes to fill out the blank spots. So, you are already starting from the right perspective. What you can learn, especially from something like 4 Pillars is how to build what is now falsetto for you into a boomy, thick sound.

It's all an auditory illusion, anyway. What is "chesty" or full voice is a matter of tone and resonance. Oops, I think I said that out loud.

In my "outside" voice.

That would be awesome. I have the motivation to succeed, and from what I learned in life, that if you have the motivation, anything is achievable.

I wish I had the funds to spend on the four pillars. For now I stick to Seth's Singing for the stars :) I do feel improvement, but as you see, I come here to get answers to questions I have ;)

Thanks! :)

VA

heck if you put in the time you can get what you want, you can get both chest up and above g4 aswell as an fullsounding headvoice.

When your voice gets strong there's alot less limitations, but i suggest you should be figuring out headvoice as it's a great tool!

Remember youve gotta follow the rules to be able to bend them