Want to cover a song for Christmas but need help and advice!

• TMV World Legacy Member

I'm planning on covering White X'mas by a Japanese pop band called KAT-TUN for this Christmas. The song means a lot to me but for some reason I've only thought about covering it up until recently. But seeing its significance, I really REALLY don't wanna butcher this song. I want to cover it as best as I could. I'll need advise from all of you awesome people to improve.

Original Song :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6ZVvQmT0CY

Here's my first short run of the song :

[x]

I had to be quiet on this one...as it's late and everyone's asleep. I decided that I needed to post this tonight though, as I fear I may become more busy with a relative in the hospital and all.. Anyway, trying to be quiet really impacted my high notes. They sound so shaky and terrible :x

Would I do the song justice by covering it with my voice? That's my question with this short clip. When I record a newer version with no restrictions on volume, I'll need help on improving tone and all that. Eventually I'll record my piano playing and hopefully add in some violin too, to the final version.

Thank you so much in advance. I would really appreciate any help! Just a beginner singer who recently learned about mixed voice and that I'm not doomed forever to my bad limited range.

I liked your interpretation. I could hear some tremolo, or unsteadiness in your voice on the higher notes but I think that is because you are trying to sing in a whisper. So, it would be unfair and unwise to really comment on that until we can hear you singing it louder.

Sorry to hear about family medical troubles. And remember, as tough as that is, you must carry on, and that includes following your passion, which is singing, right?

However, I still think you got the emotional intent of the song right. One of emotional longing.

Anyway, konichiwa.

Yes, my mixed voice is still very weak at lower volumes, as my singing muscles aren't trained enough yet. However I have recorded a second short run, this time with no volume restrictions. Although it is slightly improved...I can hear the hoarseness from shouting yesterday taking effect. Opinions? How else to improve. I know for a fact that my bridging really sucks. [x]

I know. And yes, it is my passion!

Phew, I'm very glad to hear that!

Konichiwa! However, I am not Japanese hahaha! Just someone who appreciates Japanese music a lot.

Thank you for the input so far!

I was replying in spirit to the video of the japanese band. Sorry if that caused an erroneous assumption.

:)

Much better on volume and therefore, better pitch control. Kind of like that inertia thing in physics, getting the folds into proper adduction and vibration also helps the pitch. Anyway, keep doing what you are doing.

Ahh, nono, I apologize for assuming that you assumed! I am Malaysian, so close enough, I guess haha!

Mmm, I've read your email and tried applying some stuff you mentioned there.

I do have a problem that I should have brought up in the opening post. I've always had this problem and have no idea how to remedy it.

Basically, when I wake up and start some light warming up of my voice, I can get straight into singing quite smoothly in all registers of my voice. However, when the day goes on for some time or I warm up more seriously or just start singing with more power (chest range increases), my lower mix is close to poop lol. It's extremely wobbly and just bad. I'll post a sound clip of what it sounds like [x]

Help?