Don't know if I can sing?

Rate this topic

Yes, you can sing. And you will sing better when you back off the nasal tone, at least some. It's either that or you had a bad head cold.

In relation to another thread, using heavy nasality to tune higher notes is not only aesthetically limited but it leads to problems later on.

I can hear it in the clip - do you notice how you are out of breath? That is because most of your air is escaping through the nose. I can visualize the nostril hairs flapping in the breeze.

Instead, let the tone come out of the mouth, and it's okay to use the sinus region to resonate. But the sound should not come out of there.

On the other hand, you have a good tone of voice and a sense of relative pitch and intervals. There are people who don't have that.

So, the only thing I can critique is the tonal quality.

Basically, try to sing it more like you than how you think MJ sounds.

I had a bit of a blocked nose but I do notice that trying to reach higher notes that I do that. I need to improve my range though because I can go really high and really low and in the middle but I struggle to go in between middle and low and middle and high. I'd also like to learn some good warm ups because I don't really warm up before I sing I just go straight into it which might help me reach higher notes

So, then, I understand, as I have allergies and stuff like that.

And you will find that working the middle of your voice needs more time and focus. Then the lows and highs will come easier. That is, you stay focused and aware, but, at first, worry about the middle.

I also need to find my own voice and style as it were. Michael Jackson is the main singer I listen to because his range is good and he's a very versatile singer and so I guess that why I sing more the way he does.

Finding your own voice and style will be the most important work that you do. It's okay to be influenced by other singers, to absorb their emotion, delivery, intention. Even some of their sound, it if is similar to yours. But always make it your own.