Singing with my band

• TMV World Legacy Member

Hello guys, it has been a long time that i haven't posted something. I got Pillars for christmas and many of the piano vocalizes have become a daily routine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fn8SUp7N8E&feature=youtu.be

Here is a song called " Anxiety ", and i am currently working it with my band. There are a lot of super tricky notes for me, especially As and Bs because i don't want to pull chest up there ( my highest belt is A anyways, after that, things become very random and shouty ). I am the one who composed the song and i don't wish to change the notes because they are difficult. I just have to work on my voice to sing this damn song :-)

What do you think about it?

First off, I always love a live performance. Any one can nurse a recording in his basement of bedroom with a karaoke track for weeks and approach "the perfect recording."

It's another thing to get up there on a stage, even at rehearsal, and play with the band at 60 to 80 decibels.

Great song. And I love the arrangement. A thumping, driving rhythm that carries you with it. Juxtaposed with your light, high, almost Roy Orbison type of voice. A few pitchy spots but that is to be expected, live. I think this is a rally good effort.

And you should definitely write more songs.

Nice presentation. Kind of like the Cure, but with black leather, no lace. Or make-up.

Hey Ron,

Thanks for your imput! I was thinking that I have made enough progress to start posting here some recordings.

When I first saw the video I was a bit disappointed because of the pitchiness and because it seems that many of the ornametations on my voice ( for instance, i go for a light rasp or creaking on the high notes ) vanish in live conditions. As the sound device was turned towards the audience, i sometimes coudldn't hear myself clearly. My vibrato was also gone.

Live singing is a totally different experience for a "closet singer" like me. The simple fact that I have to sing in a high volume setting modifies the way I usually sing.

About the voicetone, i initially was searching for something with more " thickness " but when i tried with this light head voice the members of the band, included myself, found that it gave a good vocal signature to the whole sound. I think i will try to make it a bit darker but the style won't change.

I am going to upload more stuff

You don't have to make the sound darker. I think, as you spend more time on the mic with the band, things will fall into place.

Live is where it's at.

Thank you guys for the feedback. Our lead guitar player show the video to his friends and it seems they were really divided regarding the vocal lines ( they are quite unsual compared to the rest of our set ). The ones who disliked seemed argued that the pitch was too high throughout all the song ( they suggested that it could for instance be lowered on the verses ).

But then, i don't know, maybe what they meant is that the high notes are too " heady " and that i have to add some meat. Actually, i hope it is more about the sound color than he melody itself, because i find it cool as it is. Well, i like the song, and so do the other band members, but i would also like to drive the audience in a live session.