My cover of listen by beyonce - tell me what you think

• TMV World Legacy Member

http://youtu.be/I7R72tE3V9Q

Hi, posted above is a recording of me singing listen by beyonce. Please tell me what you think in detail of my voice.

Thank you.

Hi Bubbly,

If you desire to be a "Tribute Singer" to Beyoncé then the key is to mimic her singing in every way i.e. inflections, phrasing, accent, coloring, facial expressions, etc.. I'm not sure if that is what you were attempting or not.

If you just happen to "sound like" Beyoncé, that's a bit different. Voices are like fingerprints...though they may be similar, they are all unique in their own way. In that case I suggest showcasing the uniqueness of "your" voice. Convey the meaning of the song as you would feel it. Tell the story the way you would tell it. That's how you make a song your own. That is what becomes "your" interpretation.

Once you decide which of the two you are...record the song again and re-post so you can get accurate feedback for exactly what you are doing....mimicking Beyoncé or introducing us to YOU.

That's my take

Eric

Around here...there's no such thing as too deep! http://www.youtube.com/user/thepoetician

Hi Bubbly,

If you desire to be a "Tribute Singer" to Beyoncé then the key is to mimic her singing in every way i.e. inflections, phrasing, accent, coloring, facial expressions, etc.. I'm not sure if that is what you were attempting or not.

If you just happen to "sound like" Beyoncé, that's a bit different. Voices are like fingerprints...though they may be similar, they are all unique in their own way. In that case I suggest showcasing the uniqueness of "your" voice. Convey the meaning of the song as you would feel it. Tell the story the way you would tell it. That's how you make a song your own. That is what becomes "your" interpretation.

Once you decide which of the two you are...record the song again and re-post so you can get accurate feedback for exactly what you are doing....mimicking Beyoncé or introducing us to YOU.

That's my take

Eric

I have been saying that for a while. With mixed results. I think there is a difference between cover and tribute. Though I could be wrong. But, for example, in tribute bands, they play the music as it is heard on some favored recording. The singer is often chosen because he sounds so much like the original singer. For example, recent member justinothersinger really does sound a lot like Bruce Dickinson and so it is not a big surprise to find that he has been the singer in an Iron Maiden tribute band.

Cover, on the other hand, is where you do a favored song but in your own style. Metallica covers "Whiskey in the Jar." Just as Thin Lizzy, before them, covered that song. It was actually first recorded for release by Luke Kelly and the Dubliners and it was their distillation of what was originally an irish folk song about a highwayman meeting his destiny and paying for his crimes.

And it can be a thin line. I recently did a cover, not a tribute, of "Hurt." My intention was not to sound like Johnny Cash or Trent Reznor, who originally wrote the song. But to sing it with the emotional feel of those two, but in a way that makes sense to ronws. And that's what makes it a cover, rather than a tribute. Because I don't sound like either singer.

Anyway, I noticed the vid has been disabled. So, I suppose the original poster has removed it to back up and re-group and try again. And that's good. Some songs, I have recorded at least 8 times before having a passable edition to share.