Only One acoustic cover-Vocal constructive criticism requested.

• TMV World Legacy Member

I can't give you advice stylistically because the sound that you are going for is, in my opinion, not a very good one. What I can say is that you should watch those shakey sustained notes that you are losing. They need to be much more 'solid' if you get what I mean.

I can't give you advice stylistically because the sound that you are going for is, in my opinion, not a very good one. What I can say is that you should watch those shakey sustained notes that you are losing. They need to be much more 'solid' if you get what I mean.

Thank you, I'll work on it.

I'm not really sure what you mean. I mean that song doesn't have the best writing, but I haven't really set a style for myself completely, I don't think.

I hear a pop male vocal style, maybe something along the lines of inde? Not trying to be harsh, just saying.

Ahh. Well I'm not really sure what style I'm going for to be honest. My biggest inspirations vocally are guys like Johnny Cash and Freddie Mercury, I'm not really sure what style you have when you put those guys together. haha

Well they are both great in their own ways. Maybe you are just falling too much into the 'nasal' sound I see a lot of people get.

Well they are both great in their own ways. Maybe you are just falling too much into the 'nasal' sound I see a lot of people get.

Yeah that's definitely true. I'm working on that. I've been opening my mouth wider and singing in a higher key seems to help.

too much Nasal -- for sure..... But you keep a bright tone - and that's a huge bonus... keep that going, but lay back on the nasal effect...

All you need dude, is what 90% of everyone I've come across needs ---- Support..... .that's why you "shake" on some notes, don't hold a steady sustain on others, pitchy where you shouldn't be.. etc... All comes to support man...

Practice your breathing, and you're well on your way. I think you have a very "indie" voice... better then a lot I've heard in the pubs....

too much Nasal -- for sure..... But you keep a bright tone - and that's a huge bonus... keep that going, but lay back on the nasal effect...

All you need dude, is what 90% of everyone I've come across needs ---- Support..... .that's why you "shake" on some notes, don't hold a steady sustain on others, pitchy where you shouldn't be.. etc... All comes to support man...

Practice your breathing, and you're well on your way. I think you have a very "indie" voice... better then a lot I've heard in the pubs....

Thanks for posting! I agree there's too much nasal, I'm trying to fix that. I've been pushing from my stomach more and opening my mouth wider. Apparently I should be tightening my core or something? I'm trying to fix the support issue, it's improving little by little. I appreciate it!=)

The next time you COUGH or LAUGH pay attention to what your stomache and ribs do. This is the area of support. keep the lower ribs expanded. When you take a breath let the bottom ribs expand.

The style of singing that you are doing has a laid back lazy feel to it. The sound itself may be cool but the problem is that the body will also react in a lazy way therefore it will not provide enough energy for a sustained note and some vowels will go flat.

Johnny Cash had a LAID BACK sound to his singing but he also had an energetic feel to it. Freddy Mercury always had an energetic feel.

Kurt Cobain had that lazy sound but his songs were still energetic.

"You need a strong foundation to reach the heights."

The next time you COUGH or LAUGH pay attention to what your stomache and ribs do. This is the area of support. keep the lower ribs expanded. When you take a breath let the bottom ribs expand.

The style of singing that you are doing has a laid back lazy feel to it. The sound itself may be cool but the problem is that the body will also react in a lazy way therefore it will not provide enough energy for a sustained note and some vowels will go flat.

Johnny Cash had a LAID BACK sound to his singing but he also had an energetic feel to it. Freddy Mercury always had an energetic feel.

That makes sense, thank you! I'll work on it!

Thanks for posting! I agree there's too much nasal, I'm trying to fix that. I've been pushing from my stomach more and opening my mouth wider. Apparently I should be tightening my core or something? I'm trying to fix the support issue, it's improving little by little. I appreciate it!=)

This will sound gross, but learning how to slightly "bear down" as if you are about to take a dump will approximate what the deep core muscles should be doing. This is done very lightly. Do NOT create extra tension in your body. Stand tall. Pretend you are sitting on the toilet. Relax as much of your hip, stomach, and lower back muscles for a few seconds, and then bear down until your sphincter moves. Yes, I have done this many times, and when you are done roflmao, etc., then get back into position.

That last paragraph is probably worth it's weight in gold for unintended comic relief, but since it is totally at my expense, we'll let it roll.

At the beginning of your sphincter exercise, you are engaging a large group of voluntary muscles, but the way they are engaged is nearly effortless. You can learn to engage them while breathing in and out (otherwise people would pass out on the toilet). You will feel as if something is pressing against your pelvis from deep inside your bowels. Stop and hold.Relax and release, take a slow breath. As you inhale, move your bowels downward. That isn't what is actually happening, but it's best to think of it that way. It's easier to visualize, and easier to find that way. Anyway, those must be engaged, and they must stay engaged while singing the phrase.

The nasality issue is separate from breath support. Professional singers that use nasal tones have plenty of breath support. If they didn't, it would sound horrible. As someone else said in this thread, you have already chosen a style, you just didn't know it. It's somewhere between indie folk and wimpy pop. Sorry, I can't remember the proper name for that style. Nasality can usually be cleared up within a few minutes of working with someone who will help you first on lowering your soft palate a little, as well as showing you the difference in the "coloration" of your vowels. In other words, the correct "a,e,i,o,u, and sometimes y" sounds. If you actually talk like you sing, then you have lots of work to do. Don't give up if this is what you want, but I would advise a different style.

Your best bet is to either seek out a vocal coach and get re-trained, or ask people in this forum who you should choose to record. It doesn't take much to impress me. If you can sing Mary Had a Little Lamb perfectly, with full tone, vibrato, power and projection, then I will definitely be impressed. Baby steps, buddy, baby steps...

I would love to hear you record a simple song that everyone knows. That will get lots of people helping, I imagine. We need to understand how your normal, natural voice sounds, when singing with no strain something simple, doing your best to sing with an open throat without going so wide that you sound nasal.

Let me explain nasality. At the extreme, you have some actors and actresses that make a living doing funny nasal voices for comedy films and television. It's used a lot in country music, and of course by boy bands. By partially blocking the air from entering the sinus cavities (called the mask in singing) as you sing, you can totally change the tone of your voice. I think that some people instinctively do this to cover up something that they see as a problem with their voice. the other reason, of course, is that beginners sometimes think that's cool, and they try (unsuccessfully) to emulate that sound. In other words, they are attempting to do something that was someone else's voice gimmick, and that is always a bad idea. You will try to move your mouth and throat all kinda artificial and different ways, and it will never sound good if you don't have the problem that the famous singer does. In other words, you can't fix what isn't broken, or, "if it ain't broke, don't try to fix it." In your case, we can't even tell if you have a problem, because we haven't heard your natural voice. Just talk through a few songs if you have to, it can help. Make the notes in a casual, conversational way. Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, and others were masters at this. Listen to those guys, maybe pick an easy one to try.

I told him bowel movement, but coughing and laughing aren't nearly as gross! Seriously, though, we are talking about the same thing.

Will-Sing-For-Supper, thank you so much! I Erm, tried the breath thing and I can really see a difference. The style thing, I see what you mean. I'm about to post a cover of

hallelujah by Leonard Cohen, is that well known enough? I like Dean Martin and Michael Buble sounding guys, don't get me wrong, Dean Martin singing O Holy Night is one of the most amazing things to ever grace my ears, and i can somewhat do that style, but it's not really what I'm going for. Probably the best example of what I'd like to do is, some sort of freakshow blend of Elvis Presley, Dean Martin, Freddie Mercury, Johnny Cash, Michael Stipe, and Brandon Flowers, those are the kind of voices I like anyways. Or a male version of Brandi Carlile would be good too.

Will-Sing-For-Supper, thank you so much! I Erm, tried the breath thing and I can really see a difference. The style thing, I see what you mean. I'm about to post a cover of

hallelujah by Leonard Cohen, is that well known enough? I like Dean Martin and Michael Buble sounding guys, don't get me wrong, Dean Martin singing O Holy Night is one of the most amazing things to ever grace my ears, and i can somewhat do that style, but it's not really what I'm going for. Probably the best example of what I'd like to do is, some sort of freakshow blend of Elvis Presley, Dean Martin, Freddie Mercury, Johnny Cash, Michael Stipe, and Brandon Flowers, those are the kind of voices I like anyways. Or a male version of Brandi Carlile would be good too.

Cool! :cool: Yes, I believe that a lot of people are at least familiar with Jeff Buckley's version of "Hallelujah". I love that song! I see that you posted it, so I will check that out when I get time.

You named some great singers, and would love to hear you sing "Somebody To Love" by Queen if you can. :D

Cool! :cool: Yes, I believe that a lot of people are at least familiar with Jeff Buckley's version of "Hallelujah". I love that song! I see that you posted it, so I will check that out when I get time.

You named some great singers, and would love to hear you sing "Somebody To Love" by Queen if you can. :D

Oh my that's quite a challenge! I will try!=]