How is my singing? Constructive criticism, please!

• TMV World Legacy Member

So i've been working through all the exercises every day for months now. What do you think? i know i have work to do, but are there any major flaws you can hear/tell?

https://soundcloud.com/leebanana/ocean-mashup

p.s. singing starts at 0:43 or so and ends around 3 mins.

I liked it, your low notes are great, I love the guitar you are really talented. Keep practicing! My advice is that you need to work on your vibrato to give another sensation to the long notes, but in general is reallly nice.

Agreed, from a stylistic viewpoint, work on vibrato. I'm not a big fan of straight tone or monotone singing. I like this song and I know the original sounds a bit monotone.

Great guitar work. And this would be a good song demo. A song demo is when a songwriter writes a song and it is relatively free of interpretation, so that an artist you are pitching it to can think of their own voice on it.

I really like this song and I want to hear you do it with more "swagger". More of your own style.

Pitch was good. Resonance was weak in the low notes in the beginning. Don't be afraid to let those notes have some weight.

From 2:08- 2:11, you are ending the phrase, "won't stop 'til it's o-ver". The "ver" part becomes breathy in the middle. You begin "ver" with a light vibrato, which is lost when you go breathy in the middle, and then your tone changes as you finish the note. Thankfully, I don't feel the need to explain how to fix it since you have been reading and doing the exercises.

Work on breath support and projection. You already have a little vibrato, and this will come on it's own as you work on the basics.

Hope this helps... :cool:

Thank you for the responses guys! these really help me out.

I'm also finding it quite hard to sustain the notes in my bridge ; for e.g. when i sing an F# (above middle C) i feel like i am either belting it with chest (it actually doesn't hurt my throat at all) or singing it in head voice, which sounds really weak and airy. What to do?

Thank you for the responses guys! these really help me out.

I'm also finding it quite hard to sustain the notes in my bridge ; for e.g. when i sing an F# (above middle C) i feel like i am either belting it with chest (it actually doesn't hurt my throat at all) or singing it in head voice, which sounds really weak and airy. What to do?

First, put up a clip with you doing exactly what you are describing. So, you won't need your guitar for this one... :lol:

Also, I think this question might be better asked in the Vocal Technique thread. I'm new here, but I assume that is the best place for you to post it.

I actually know exactly what you are talking about, but we still need to hear it. You are a talented musician, so I'm sure you understand. Don't worry about how bad it might sound. I make bad sounds every day, and no one (so far) has died from it! :o

Great leebanana, I know it's not what you want comment for but the guitar was fantastic. Singing was good too. I think you're on the right lines and should keep practising what you are practicing. A bit wobbly in places but generally very good. There are parts where I can hear the emotion really come through, work with that cause it's really nice.

What you're referring to is what all singers try to accomplish - a powerful head voice (except for the handful of people who have it naturally). My suggestion is support, twang and vowel modifications (vocal tract shaping). These 3 things are key to having a powerful head/mix voice (call it what you want, we are all after the same thing!!) scales and sirens, mesa di voce (crescendo basically) and practice and persistance.

Well done, I think with a bit more practice you have the potential for a professional voice :D

Professional vocalist in Devon, England. Here's the link to my website: [url=http://www.ginaellenvocalist.co.uk/]professional vocalist in Devon[/url]
[url=https://soundcloud.com/gina-ellen]My soundcloud[/url]