Iron Maiden - the Mercenary

• TMV World Legacy Member

Hello,

We're playing an Iron Maiden tribute with my band next month, so I'm trying different songs out to complete the setlist. This is one of the tunes that I think will be cool to play. It comes from the album "Brave New World" - in my opinion their best recording up to date:) I welcome all critique!

https://www.box.com/s/qirp261ez6pn1eav4fr9

Can't think of any critique. I think you did this well and should keep it in the set. Maybe as the last in the set, because that is what most people will remember. And I think this is good enough to carry that memory.

Your singing is impressive as always even though i have heard even more impressed stuff from you. Your vibrato is unstable at some places but other than that i can´t think of anything to improve. If i were you though i would leave this song out of the set list - by Iron Maiden standards it is a rather weak song, there are alot better songs IMO even on that record and Iron Maiden hasn´t played it very often live what i can reckon.

Thanks for listening and for the kind words, guys! Olem, you are right that Maiden may have better songs than this one! However, we are one of 4 bands that will play that evening, and while all the other choose the most known tunes, we've decided to go with some of the less popular:) And it's not the only song from "Brave New World" album we plan to rehearse!

Generally speaking, Bruce stuff has always been very difficult for me to sing, so having to play guitar simultaneously I'm forced to choose rather the easiest songs - Mercenary definitely being one of them;)

Ah, then i understand Deth. So you play guitar too? To play guitar and sing Maiden stuff may be asking for a little too much, hahaha. Brave task man.

And I would also add that you should keep this song in your set list, even though you do not sound like Bruce. You should keep it because you do the song well.