Do I have any improvement in my singing?

• TMV World Legacy Member

So, I had some training since the last time I posted, and I now need your opinion if I have improved since then. (just for reference, this was my last post: http://themodernvocalist.punbb-hosting.com/viewtopic.php?pid=71778)

Give this a listen:

http://picosong.com/FGGX

Thanks!

Your pitch is a little better. You are still singing light. But it does take time.

"You need a strong foundation to reach the heights."

No.

For the record, that's not constructive criticism in any way shape or form, Onacor...would be cool if you could make some suggestions for the fella.

Okay so my take on it:

For a month of training that's not bad. Your pitch is much better.

Am I the only one who thinks you are not singing too light? You're blending well with the guitar volume, I think it's fine.

What I would like to hear is more upper frequencies in your tone. More shimmer/twang/buzz...whatever you wanna call it.

And once you get that down I think you will stop being perceived as singing light.

For the record, that's not constructive criticism in any way shape or form, Onacor...would be cool if you could make some suggestions for the fella.

Okay so my take on it:

For a month of training that's not bad. Your pitch is much better.

Am I the only one who thinks you are not singing too light? You're blending well with the guitar volume, I think it's fine.

What I would like to hear is more upper frequencies in your tone. More shimmer/twang/buzz...whatever you wanna call it.

And once you get that down I think you will stop being perceived as singing light.

There are different meanings to Light.

"What I would like to hear is more upper frequencies in your tone. More shimmer/twang/buzz...whatever you wanna call it."

Singing without the "Extra Frequencies" is what I mean by singing light.

"You need a strong foundation to reach the heights."

There are different meanings to Light.

"What I would like to hear is more upper frequencies in your tone. More shimmer/twang/buzz...whatever you wanna call it."

Singing without the "Extra Frequencies" is what I mean by singing light.

Cool. Thats what i thought you and the others meant.

Alright, it's nice to hear that you think my pitch has improved.

This kinda confuses me. Is there a specific way I can attain that? I mean, I can't master it if I don't know how.

Alright, it's nice to hear that you think my pitch has improved.

This kinda confuses me. Is there a specific way I can attain that? I mean, I can't master it if I don't know how.

Yea but it's hard to obtain without actually seeing a teacher who can teach you it one on one...

Found this video on youtube, it's a pretty decent explanation. Keep in mind, the sounds she's making in the video are EXERCISES to help strengthen the coordination in isolation...later on you tame it and balance it into a more normal sound, as she demonstrates. She could have done a better job actually, even her less twangy parts were too much twang for my taste.

This all applies to lower pitches too.

The end result will just be a really full balanced sound with both strong high, low, and middle frequencies, if you work in the right balance of twang. Don't overdo it and sing like a duck or a witch...do that when you're training twang, in order to build the coordination nice and strong, but when you go to sing, you won't need so much twang that it makes you sound like a duck or a witch. Just enough to balance out your tone.

This actually doesn't look that much complicated (at least after I manage to make that sound). But something more important is: it is required for me to apply twang in my singing right now? Or better said, is lack of twang the exact reason for my light singing, and not something else (I think in the previous post someone mentioned lack of good support). Because the woman in the video sounds great in the example without twang too.

Can you give a listen the actual song I sang, and see if the singer uses twang/if twang is needed in the song:

Thanks!!

This actually doesn't look that much complicated (at least after I manage to make that sound). But something more important is: it is required for me to apply twang in my singing right now? Or better said, is lack of twang the exact reason for my light singing, and not something else (I think in the previous post someone mentioned lack of good support). Because the woman in the video sounds great in the example without twang too.

Can you give a listen the actual song I sang, and see if the singer uses twang/if twang is needed in the song:

Thanks!!

No twang may not be the exact reason. But probably a more likely reason than lack of good support. Lack of good support would be more likely the cause for you being off pitch in the previous post. Seems like you have fixed that.

Yeah she probably had a little twang in her no-twang example and it's also perfectly possible to sound good with no twang. It's just a nice touch.

Barely any twang in the song you posted. The original singer is singing light so now I see why you sang it pretty light. Another example of how you don't NEED twang to sound good.

Barely any twang in the song you posted. The original singer is singing light so now I see why you sang it pretty light. Another example of how you don't NEED twang to sound good.

So, does my light singing in this song still counts as an issue? Besides that, and not so good pitch, what else makes my singing *bad*? (if there is anything specific..)

So, does my light singing in this song still counts as an issue? Besides that, and not so good pitch, what else makes my singing *bad*? (if there is anything specific..)

The pitch is better that's no longer a problem and the song is supposed to be light, so I think you're good for that song.

Try a song with heavier and/or higher singing if you want us to give you some more critique...

Try a song with heavier and/or higher singing if you want us to give you some more critique...

Bed of roses is the first song that came to my mind (not sure if it is the appropriate song). I tried the refrain twice (1 tone higher), but I am afraid the same issues described before apply here.. Anyhow, give it a listen and tell me what you think. Some time later I might give this same song a shot or choose another one (this one has higher singing:

)

http://picosong.com/FitD

http://picosong.com/Fita