Flow My Tears ...and Dio (was so darn inspired by Chavie!)

• TMV World Legacy Member

So, I've been trying to develop my softer voice, and what did I do? I chose a hit single from the 16th century!

It's commonly sung very operatic, but I don't really want that (like I could accomplish that anyway) because I can't see it befitting the rest of my vocal repertoire. I begin very softly in a falsetto-kind-of-voice and goes into a thicker voice later on (but no grit whatsoever!).

https://soundcloud.com/rednane-kirderf/flowmytears

And yeah, I had a little mucus in my throat during "forlorn", but what the hey!

Also, I got a bit cocky at the end and tried to pull a Jussi Björling (but failed), but it felt good before that so I settled! Haha!

Now, after hearing Chavie do a good performance of the song, I felt I just had to sing Rainbow in dark (it's a compliment to him and his singing)!

I do it from time to time to see my progression (it's one the songs I use a mean to measure my skills). Needless to say, still a long way to go! Haha! :)

Well, I guess a little more practice on this particular song would probably straighten out some flaws, instead of just jumping right into the fire.

https://www.box.com/s/ilbkplv5qkgv2n3rrldx

I think the most notable mistakes I did was when singing "someone" (totally lost it), which made me reserved so I went overboard with the heady characteristics of my mixed voice during "words" instead... and you can hear one of the most common swedish profanities there is, "fan", at the end before I give up! :D

Wow. Flow My Tears was outstanding - very haunting vocals. Was it all in English - I couldn't make out some of the lyrics towards the end? EDIT - just looked up the lyrics and it is quite archaic English so that explains it. Did they make sense to a non native English speaker at first?

Rainbow... While I envy your ability to get so much grit in your vocals I thought it was a bit too much here. You seemed to be on the money in terms of the delivery otherwise but maybe just a slightly cleaner vocal would sound better for me. Still infinitely better than I could manage on a Dio song though!

I agree with Elwin. Good job on the "Flow of My Tears"

Aesthetically (nothing wrong technically) one could probably back of the rasp some on RitD. But it's a style choice.

But very cool, nevertheless.

I was taken aback by the sound of your voice so I wasn't listening to the words as did ronws and ElWin did. You hit the C#5 at the end with easy which makes me wonder what your highest note is.

I was taken aback by the sound of your voice so I wasn't listening to the words as did ronws and ElWin did. You hit the C#5 at the end with easy which makes me wonder what your highest note is.

They make dog whistles based on Enander's voice.

:D

ElWin

Thank you very much! Means a lot do get some nice words regarding my softer voice because I have to build some self-esteem on that matter! Haha! :D

Well, I came in contact with this song for like 10 years ago when my english was considerably less developed, so I had to translate most of the words.

Regarding Rainbow in the dark, I know I just roared through it. Haha! With more practice I could probably constrain myself more, but at the time I have to "keep the fire burning" to perform "well".

It's a recurring problem I have with singing overall. It's a hard song to sing, so I haven't been able to incorporate a more dynamic approach yet. I know it might sound strange to some that I find it easier to grit my way through something than just singing clean, but I don't know...

ronws

Thank you! The same thing I wrote to ElWin is applicable here! To step down is a greater challenge for me than it is to step up.

All in all, I just put up Rainbow in the dark for fun!

Jeff Abbey

Hm! I don't know... aside from my whistle register (which I can't actually sing within), the highest note I've record was C#6.

(the end scream)

They make dog whistles based on Enander's voice.

:D

Hahahaha!

Hm! I don't know... aside from my whistle register (which I can't actually sing within), the highest note I've record was C#6.

(the end scream)

C#6!!! It sounded great and ronws was correct about dog whistles.

C#6!!! It sounded great and ronws was correct about dog whistles.

Haha! I don't really know how to respond to that! Thanks for making me blush a bit though! :lol:

Outstanding. I especially liked the first one. I'm not too into grit/distortion - but it seemed like you could sing like that for days.

www.drop-head.com

Outstanding. I especially liked the first one. I'm not too into grit/distortion - but it seemed like you could sing like that for days.

Thanks, Keith! :D

I guess that's it though, I listen almost exclusively (as far as metal goes) to the most brutal kinds of death metal there is. I guess all that growling/grunting is messing with my perception of singing! Haha!

Holy (insert profane word here) !!! Flow My Tears was absolutely gorgeous. Out-friggin-standing. I played it back three times.

I do agree with the others who said the distortion was a bit much in the Dio clip, though. It almost comes across as a Dio parody. However, that's not to say everything else about it wasn't good.

I've never been skydiving, but I've zoomed in on Google Earth really, really fast.

Holy (insert profane word here) !!! Flow My Tears was absolutely gorgeous. Out-friggin-standing. I played it back three times.

I do agree with the others who said the distortion was a bit much in the Dio clip, though. It almost comes across as a Dio parody. However, that's not to say everything else about it wasn't good.

I'm glad you liked it! :D

Haha! The notion of me mocking Dio is fun, but probably also apt. I really need to get my head straight regarding this excessive grit, and for every time people keep "bashing" me about it gets the easier to remember!

Thanks, Validar! :)

Like I said before, the grit is a style thing for some. But in the spirit of my own advice, do this song your way, just like you did. To that end, this was a true cover and not an attempt to "tribute."

My previous cat, Misty, who passed away in 2005, was listening to this with Ronnie, himself. She says that he said, "Holy Moly! Now, that's some rasp!"

:)

First of all man you have officially made my year lol

The first tune is Beautiful!!! your voice is stunning on this

Is your falsetto something you started out naturally with?, or did you have to work at it???

i ask this cause my falsetto sucks so bad.....i cant even use it.

Awesome job on rainbow man......i'm floored... But not surprised. Your russel allan cover was brutal.

You sounded like you had a lot easier time singing it then i did....

www.soundclick.com/chavie

ronws I see you and your cat's (may her rest in peace) point! Haha! :) And a part of me agrees (obviously) and thanks you for pointing that out, but I'd be a fool not to heed the recurring critique; "too much, man!".

Granted that this might not be the right forum to display such a extreme voice, but I'm certain there are lessons to be learned here. One of them is not to make the gritty voice my "number 1 approach" to things (which it is at the moment), but instead start off softer and then apply some roughness.

Hey Chavie!

Hahaha! We're only in July and I've made your year! Time for me to stand tall!

Jokes aside, thank you very much! :D

Well, it's actually the first time I've recorded anything like this... and probably the first time I've actually really sung in that manner. Didn't really practice either, so I guess I started out naturally!

To be frank, I had my mind set on being massively criticised for my feeble attempt to sound "beautiful". Haha!

Sounds a little weird that you "can't even use it"! I'm having a hard time believing it. Put something up! :)

Yes!! At least there's one who digs my short rendition of Rainbow in the dark! Haha!

I'm sure there are people who think otherwise; that you sound more in control! :)

But, again, thanks!

Suit yuorself, Enander. But always, be yourself.

I liked Dio as a person, I liked him as a singer and songwriter, even if he did get stuck on words. I like singing songs he sang. I do not worship him.

What's more important to me is that you sing songs with the intended heart, rather than the right mixture of sound effects. If you like the heavy rasp, so be it, as long as you sing with the same heart and intentions. To me, and I may be the odd duck, emotional intent is what is good about a song and vocal technique should mainly serve developing pitch accuracy and relevant volume.