Bon Jovi "Prayer" cover

• TMV World Legacy Member

I listened to this one in your other thread. Would love to hear it with a backing track, your voice sounds good on it.

PS - Where's the key change ;)

Basically, I'm for anything that gets you through the night - be it prayer, tranquilizers or a bottle of Jack Daniels.
-Frank Sinatra

Sounded good to me but I am just another singer, Not a teacher,

I would like to here something with music.

Still I liked it. :D

"You need a strong foundation to reach the heights."

Sounds really great. IMO you have a really, really, really awesome voice. Your tone is fantastic. It's got this characteristic brightness to it but it's not too much, it's just enough to make it sound like you are smiling a bit (are you?) and having a good time singing this. And your diction is very clear and speech-like but you're still getting a lot of power too, so that's awesome too. So, in my personal opinion, keep doing exactly what you are doing, at least in the range you find comfortable.

It's basically perfect, the only part I could critique is you seemed unsure about the second half of the second verse. Particularly on "whispers" and "okay". But it seems like something that could be fixed just by practicing it more.

Great job. I think you absolutely crushed any of the guys who are even going to attempt to sing this. If I tried this song it wouldn't sound 1/10th as good...

Aw, thanks, guys! :)

Haha I stopped before the last chorus because I'm pretty sure it wouldn't sound anything like it's supposed to. ;) The highest notes I did do were a challenge already. Those notes are basically the top of my chest voice range. Honestly, I think I've sung that song.... twice? But I've listened to it like 2,000,000 times. And I do have the instrumental version (not the crappy karaoke-style things, but the actual song without Jon's voice) but I don't know how to do that. I use my computer to record right now, and if I played the song without headphones it would drown me out. I was singing along with the song on headphones in this particular one, but I could still hear me fine. I did 3 others but I think this one was the best.

And yeah, I probably was smiling, at least somewhat. :) I enjoy singing along with Jon. Haven't met him yet, so it's the best I can do for now...

Do you want me to edit in the instrumental track over my voice to hear both?

edit: One last thing. Is there anyone that comes to mind as sounding similar to my voice in some way? Not to compare, since everyone is unique, but maybe it'd give me some good ideas of songs to cover that would suit my voice well.

Do not edit in the music... That never works... Sing with the music.

It sometimes works if you know what you're doing. I'm pretty sure it can be done in her case. You can hear a teeny bit of the drums coming from the headphones in her version when she's not singing and you can sync to that, but it's really difficult.

But yeah, next time, import the instrumental track in your recording software, play that back through your headphones and use another track to record the vocals.

As for similar singers, Hayley Williams (Paramore) comes to mind. Not super similar but close enough to be a good choice for covers.

Covering singers who sound different is more challenging though. You then have a broader spectrum of choices between imitation and being original and you have to figure out what is the best balance. Sometimes you have to try hard to imitate their style a bit sometimes you have to try hard not to imitate them and keep it in your own voice instead.