Yayo Cover (Lana Del Rey)

• TMV World Legacy Member

My cover of Yayo, by Lana Del Rey. Recorded on my Laptop, minor edits and render done in Audacity.

As I explain in my introduction, I'm still new to all this and I know it's not the best.

I haven't heard the original to compare this to, but it seems like you achieved the effect you were looking for. I could imagine this sort of groaning singing going really badly, but I like the calmness and serenity of your version. If oyu are planing on studio singing, I think a slight echo or reverb effect would make this sound way richer. This singing would go well with indie music as well.

Believe it or not it is a very difficult song. It is simple, very simple.. but details are everything. If you listen well to her voice and all of the devices she uses it suddenly changes into a very complicated song.

Evidently it is a very high pitched song for a guy, but if you bring it down an octave or 5 notes, whatever.. you must be sure every note is equivalent to the original as much as you can and to maintain the "feel" ( unless you actually change some parts, which is nothing wrong by itself ). Thing here is that you where all around the place, with serious desafinations going on.

It is indeed a simple but difficult song :S So don't worry.

Thanks for the feedback guys :-) This was actually my first real recording of anything, I picked it and done it in my own little way, because as you mentioned, it's very difficult. I suppose at the time, it was an effort I was proud of because only a short time ago, I truly sounded awful and each song, while far from profession, I can hear differences in my voice compared to before. My techniques, my style and my breathing. My breathing is my biggest issue, I need to get lessons.