Was It A Dream - 30 Seconds To Mars

• TMV World Legacy Member

Hi,

So I've posted here once before about a year ago (on a different account) as well as a few other forums and I've been practicing (not daily but at least once a week) and I want to hear your opinions on how I sound.

I'm singing a snippet of Was It A Dream by 30 Seconds to Mars. I'm singing an octave higher because I feel more comfortable at this range, even though I have a somewhat deeper voice. The song is kinda slow so I don't get any high or loud notes in it really, but I feel more comfortable starting with a song like this...

Link:

One thing I can critique on my self so far is I have this somewhat uncontrollable vocal fry at the beginning of phrases. I can avoid doing it if I focus, but currently it's not "natural" for me.

Please be honest (if I suck I don't wanna embarrass myself any further lol) and please give any form of criticism you can. I love rock music and my dream is to be in a band so that would be the genre I'd be in, so if anyone has any suggestions on songs i can attempt to sing so you can get a better feel of my voice thus far, let me know and I'll try to record it ASAP. All I have recording-wise is my iPhone so the quality isn't the best, btw.

Thank you so much!

- Alex

I agree with Senor Rasseli. Your singing is good. You say that you can reduce the creaky onset you are doing if you concentrate. So, concentrate until it becomes a habit. It starts with a thought. In your mind, start the note on pitch, not from how you speak. But from where the note is. Granted, you are trying to give the song a tired feeling and creaking will do that. But, if you want to avoid creaking, also avoid song stylings that have it.

You did this song well but you want to practice songs that don't start with the creak if you want to get away from that.

Singing is mental.

Thank you guys! It's definitely a huge motivator to hear that I'm not terrible! LOL! And thanks ronws, I'm definitely going to start practicing on starting phrases "cleanly". I've been practicing non stop lately, so I'll definitely focus on avoiding the creak-ey sound. I think it definitely has it's uses, but I feel as though I do it too much.

I've been practicing with some Nirvana songs as of late (my all time fave band :P), so hopefully soon I'll upload another "cover" of one of their songs and see how it goes.

Again, thank you guys for taking the time to listen to my singing and respond! I know there's a lot of threads created daily in this forum, so I really do appreciate it!

- Alex

Oooooh, I love me some Alice in Chains. That's definitely on my to-do list. Thanks for the suggestion! :)

Awesome. Seriously, I would like to hear your version.

I get it stuck in my own mind, though I butcher the lyrics, on purpose.

"Ain't found a way to grill peas, yet.

I'll have another cigarette.

Seems every hat leaves me with no hair ..."

ROFL! I literally sang along to that in my head.... :P

I'm trying to see if I can sing it and play my guitar along to it. I cannot sing and play guitar simultaneously to save my life. Definitely something I'll have to work on.

• Administrator

I originally recorded this for Adolph, our admin. I had to edit the original recording to make it ready for primetime.

Tortured Rooster

https://app.box.com/s/tliw2054g3a2n4mr9jvs

Well, Thank you, RON :)

My Friend, no matter how many will try, you DEFINITELY are #1 in the humor department !!! :lol:

On a side note, we're going to have to catch up by phone sometime regarding your emails. I'll tell you about it when we talk. This past week and a half has literally been bizarre (for a number of reasons), and I didn't want you to think that I have been blowing off your emails.... Granted, I have been keeping up here with the posts, and of course the "Social Media" site, but I've been getting swamped with personal emails and just can't keep up. I'm sure you know the reason why. Looking forward to a chat when possible. :)

And yes, I enjoyed your second version of "The Rain Song".... Yes, I definitely see what you meant by chord progression.... BUT, I STILL like the first version as well !

Adolph C. Namlik
Administrator ~ The Modern Vocalist World
Western N.Y.

Email : chief188@hughes.net
716~257~9606
"My Life's A Stage"

Well, Thank you, RON :)

My Friend, no matter how many will try, you DEFINITELY are #1 in the humor department !!! :lol:

On a side note, we're going to have to catch up by phone sometime regarding your emails. I'll tell you about it when we talk. This past week and a half has literally been bizarre (for a number of reasons), and I didn't want you to think that I have been blowing off your emails.... Granted, I have been keeping up here with the posts, and of course the "Social Media" site, but I've been getting swamped with personal emails and just can't keep up. I'm sure you know the reason why. Looking forward to a chat when possible. :)

And yes, I enjoyed your second version of "The Rain Song".... Yes, I definitely see what you meant by chord progression.... BUT, I STILL like the first version as well !

Trust me, I know how busy things can get. My mother had a saying. "busier than a nine-tailed cat in room full of rocking chairs."

"Busier than a one-legged man in a butt-kicking contest."

Etc.

So, yeah, soon, we can talk again, like we did last fall. I was at work but it was really slow and raining like a cow peeing on a flat rock, and so, I had the time to talk during your schedule.