Critique My Singing!

• TMV World Legacy Member

Off pitch in several places, too numerous to mention. You have to sing the song, you can't speak it. A bunch of stuff. Control the exhale, hold the note, resonate somewhere above speaking level.

Either lessons, if you can manage that, or at least, look into some books on singing. I am king of the "good job" and I know you can do better than this but you are going to have to put in more effort than just reciting lyrics like a poem you were forced to read in school.

No one is "born" to sing. You have to work at it, like any other skill.

Off pitch in several places, too numerous to mention. You have to sing the song, you can't speak it. A bunch of stuff. Control the exhale, hold the note, resonate somewhere above speaking level.

Either lessons, if you can manage that, or at least, look into some books on singing. I am king of the "good job" and I know you can do better than this but you are going to have to put in more effort than just reciting lyrics like a poem you were forced to read in school.

No one is "born" to sing. You have to work at it, like any other skill.

Well first of all, thank you very much. Nothing is free and getting a free advice from a professional (for a random guy who has just bumped into the forum) is a pleasant surprise! Really, thanks a lot. Not sure what I can do in retrun, nobody would like to listen to my comments as I have just started singing and may not understand much yet, I guess I can just promise to come back and say "Hi" when I am a massive star :) !!

Back to the comment. I agree with the feedback and I am really trying and working on my voice. Here is another experiment. I know it's kinda creepy BUT it would be just great to hear some more constructive critics:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QtP3su9nTE

Thanks A Lot

#NA

The second experiment shows promise. Your phrasing is on the right track - the way you control dynamics in throughout the phrases is good. The higher notes are well balanced in tone. In a couple spots in the 2nd half of the song it seemed your soft pallet was dropping and you had slightly excessive nasality in the voice. The breath support needs to improve and become more steady. The performance will be better when you are breathing "life" into the song. The current performance lacks energy and excitement.

The second experiment shows promise. Your phrasing is on the right track - the way you control dynamics in throughout the phrases is good. The higher notes are well balanced in tone. In a couple spots in the 2nd half of the song it seemed your soft pallet was dropping and you had slightly excessive nasality in the voice. The breath support needs to improve and become more steady. The performance will be better when you are breathing "life" into the song. The current performance lacks energy and excitement.

Hurray! Thank you, it's not going to be easy but I don't care.

My singing lessons remind me scrubbing a bathtub. If you have a great voice - the water is soft. You don't have any lime scale, the singing is beautiful, the flow is clean, the tub is shining. If you don’t have a good voice, but still 've got a talent (a good lime scale remover) you need to scrub - but just a bit for the tub to shine. If you don't have a great voice and a little talent (my case) - the water is hard. All you can use is a small sponge and all you can do with it is SCRUB-SCRUB-SCRUB!

Thanks everyone - Carry on Scrubbing!

Cheers

#NA

I've just realised how many good singers there are here and I am confused. Why doesn't somebody with a great voice, nice look, etc. go to a TV talent show and shine? What stops you?

I've just realised how many good singers there are here and I am confused. Why doesn't somebody with a great voice, nice look, etc. go to a TV talent show and shine? What stops you?

The second part. I look like a biker that cleaned up for a court date. If you go to the media site link "social network", you will need to register for that with your email address and whatever password you choose. Then, you look for my page "Ron Stone." And you will see that indeed, I look like some guy that cut his hair to "look right" for a judge in a court. However, I have not belonged to a biker club, though I have had invitations. If I had to pick one, it would the Re-Treads, based out of New Hampshire, USA. The main requirement is that you be over 40 years old. I have been qualified for that for a long time, now.

Anyway, I am not a professional singer. I have not been paid for my singing. I sing whereever I can get away with it. Again, the "biker" look intimidates most people and they are probably waiting for me to go away, of my own accord. :lol:

And I like the irony. I look like the last person you want to meet in a dark alley, but I have this high and light voice that belies the fact that I am 6' 6" and about 230 lbs, give or take a few. A tough guy who sings like an angel, on the highway to Hell.

Hey, it's a gimmick.

Stick around, you can learn some things. And welcome to the forum. And if you have questions about how to use the media site, absolutely look up Adolph Namlik, the admin who takes care of the nuts and bolts operations around here.

He should change his login to "Mister Logistics."

:lol:

...Stick around, you can learn some things. And welcome to the forum. And if you have questions about how to use the media site, absolutely look up Adolph Namlik, the admin who takes care of the nuts and bolts operations around here.

He should change his login to "Mister Logistics."

:lol:

Thanks Ron for the warm welcome! I guess it's not all about the look, it's about the feel - the passion, courage, atmosphere. Singing as I understand it, is not about the singer (…oh, look at me I am too sophisticated for a silly TV show...), it's about communication and inspiration, it's the message you 've got and can't keep inside.

BJ singing is good, but does he have a great voice, honestly? Great look? - well... BUT the message is right and clear: "WE WERE NOT BORN TO FOLLOW!". When I hear the music I want to run on top of the barricade and scream "THERE IS NO FATE - IT'S NEVER TOO LATE!" So the singing for me is a tool that I want to handle well to reach all of you! :)

Thanks again,

Cheers

#NA

I guess it's not all about the look, it's about the feel - the passion, courage, atmosphere. Singing as I understand it, is not about the singer (…oh, look at me I am too sophisticated for a silly TV show...), it's about communication and inspiration, it's the message you 've got and can't keep inside.

Amen.

• 1 year later...

So I have been to the talent show and even managed to get to the live auditions! And this is where the good news ends... I got a bit overexcited and could not really sing, then TV guys amplified it a lot so finally I looked like a complete delusional idiot and all this happened on the national television! :lol: It is an interesting sensation, to see somebody looking at you, recognizing and could not help laughing. On a bright side - I am getting a free side each time I go the local pizza house as a neighborhood celebrity :) Anyway, not giving up, keeping fighting, I decided to change the style and learn how to play the guitar now (and sing of course). Not very clean yet, but would be great to hear your opinion!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ns-xBm92nMo&feature=youtu.be

Thanks a lot,

Cheers,

#NA

it can't be that bad... how about this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uq51_nuIlvY&feature=youtu.be

Your voice doesn't sound bad but it isn't singing. :) It is more like you are talking and adding a bit of rhythm to your voice. I say rhythm because I hesitate to say melody. But you aren't actually singing. If I were standing next to you you would speak to me in that tone. But if I moved across the other side of the room, say a very large room, then you would have to speak louder. You should be singing with at least that intensity, albeit there is more to it than that, but the point is it isn't a speaking tone or intensity. The support is different.

The voice needs to project more, have more support and also resonate and have more ringy tone. In your speaking voice notes get lost in pitch as they get lower and sound flat/bad even if the rest of the song is on pitch.

There is much more to it but this is a basic critique and as far as the how too's I'm not the guy :)

But what you are doing now isn't singing. It's only like you reading a poem out of a book and deciding to be a bit melodic about it.

Your voice doesn't sound bad but it isn't singing. :) It is more like you are talking and adding a bit of rhythm to your voice. I say rhythm because I hesitate to say melody. But you aren't actually singing. If I were standing next to you you would speak to me in that tone. But if I moved across the other side of the room, say a very large room, then you would have to speak louder. You should be singing with at least that intensity, albeit there is more to it than that, but the point is it isn't a speaking tone or intensity. The support is different.

The voice needs to project more, have more support and also resonate and have more ringy tone. In your speaking voice notes get lost in pitch as they get lower and sound flat/bad even if the rest of the song is on pitch.

There is much more to it but this is a basic critique and as far as the how too's I'm not the guy :)

But what you are doing now isn't singing. It's only like you reading a poem out of a book and deciding to be a bit melodic about it.

Thank you Clint for spending your time replying! Well, there are some things one could not understand no matter how hard he tries :) Maybe it is finally the time for me to give this whole thing up. The problem is I never gave up things before and it's not easy to suck it in now...

Thank you Clint for spending your time replying! Well, there are some things one could not understand no matter how hard he tries :) Maybe it is finally the time for me to give this whole thing up. The problem is I never gave up things before and it's not easy to suck it in now...

There is no need to give up. Especially if it is something you enjoy. Because then there is no pressure and you have all the time in the world. Someday you look back and see how far you've come and you're happy you didn't give up. It takes practice. Wait, scratch that. It takes correct practice. You just need to be taught. Find a teacher and in one lesson he can better explain what I can in 15 posts. But projecting more is a simple enough concept right? Start there. Practice a song you normally sing and this time sing it louder as if you had no mic and you had to have the people in the back of the room hear you. Of course then your pitch will need to be adjusted as will other things, but that is how you start learning. You may be having a hard time learning because you are starting wrong and trying to make adjustments in the wrong direction. No matter how much you practice maneuvering your car it will never be right if you are doing it with flat tires. Start on the right foot and go from there. :)

Don't give up. Just take the first step, then the next, and the next.

Don't give up. Just take the first step, then the next, and the next.

Thanks again Clint. Yes, I do enjoy singing and I did have a vocal coach! In fact, he decided to discontinue the lessons after he saw my epic fail on youtube (although I warned him I will do it, maybe he just did not fully believe me). In a way I kind of understand him, it's more like a hobby for me bit this is his reputation at stake if his half-baked student is making full of himself on tv. :) Anyway, will post something again next year!

• 1 month later...