I need some advice!

• TMV World Legacy Member

Hello everyone!

I need your advice, will you help please?

First of all I'd like you to know that I am russian so my english is not good. So please don't be surprised at the way I use english. :D

Secondly, I learn to sing without any teacher's help so I am a beginner in singing. My voice type is mezzo - soprano I think. I sing pop.

So my question is:

Do I sing on tune? What would you advise me?

I am a little bit out of rythm because I recorded on - line in karaoke.ru. And it saved the voice track not synchronically with the music. Some problems were with internet connection. Or I don't know why....

Here is my singing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qd3WZ3Ks1qE - my head voice

http://www.karaoke.ru/records/10449353/ - my chest voice

By the way I am looking for a palfriend from the US\UK for communication in english. I want to improve my english and know more about the culture of the us\uk people. If someone from the us\uk is interested - my skype is toni7777ful

fixing the embed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qd3WZ3Ks1qE

the secret? See where the link was written https? get rid of the s so that it is http and whatever else and put it in the youtube brackets.

You have lovely voice. And your pitch accuracy was good, too. As you said, on the russian file site, their software was not allowing you to synchronize the vocal track with the sound file. So, that is something beyond your control, perhaps. I am not sure what access your servers allow but if you can get ahold of Audacity, it is recording software that is a free download. Zero dollars, zero rubles, zero whatever currency.

I only know a few words of russian and when I speak it, I tend to sound like an octave higher version of Sylvester Stallone as Rocky Balboa.

Anyway, fellow forum member, Igor (jugulator login) is also from Russia and he does a pretty good american accent when singing English rock and pop music songs. You will find his threads in this review section.

Anyway, I like your voice and would not change a thing and don't worry about voice types and classification. Truly, that is only important if you care being cast in an opera and then, it is only important to the director or the casting director, if it is not one and the same person.

A little more on voice types, as I have learned the hard way from Robert Edwin (voice expert,) and fellow forum members Jens and Felipe.

The voice type, such as mezzo soprano, is not so much about the singer as it is about the tessitura of the role to be sung. What is a mezzo? A mezzo is a singer, usually female, who can sing a role that requires mezzo weight, range, and tonailty with durability for the evening, for the length of the run of the show, whether that is a few months or a few years. More importantly, is the requirements of the director. You could have 5 singers and all of them nominally "mezzo" because they have the required range of notes. However, out of those 5, one will be chosen for lead, maybe a second one for back-up, in case the lead mezzo cannot perform one night. The secondary has to already have the role rehearsed and take it to the stage. The other three, while still being "mezzo," were not chosen and it doesn't make them any less or more "mezzo." And some of them may actually be better at coloratura. So, did that make them less mezzo when they were seeking or training for mezzo roles? No. Nor does it mean they might have a career as a coloratura. And they might be good as coloratura in one role but not every role that requires one. So, even taking on the brand of mezzo is not going to be accurate over a career. And all of these becomes less important, if important at all in pop music. For example, one might ask, how did you sing so high in the youtube vid and so low in the karaoke. ru vid? Doesn't matter. You did it, convincingly, as far as I am concerned. So, it would not be accurate to say, "no wait, your alto, no, wait, contralto, no wait ..." And on, and on. To borrow from a classical coach who taught me a few things, just be a singer. Though I would say that you have a chance to be any number of kinds of singer, though I might suggest theater or even art songs. I don't know what music you like to listen to or where you envision yourself to be, ultimately.

the secret? See where the link was written https? get rid of the s so that it is http and whatever else and put it in the youtube brackets.

:D Thank you! I didn't know......

You have lovely voice. And your pitch accuracy was good, too. As you said, on the russian file site, their software was not allowing you to synchronize the vocal track with the sound file. So, that is something beyond your control, perhaps. I am not sure what access your servers allow but if you can get ahold of Audacity, it is recording software that is a free download. Zero dollars, zero rubles, zero whatever currency.

Thank you! Actually I have Audition 5 programm and I can use it. Next time I will record in it. I am glad that my pitch became better I still work on it. Now it's easier to sing than it was before.

Karaoke.ru usually saves synchronically but it often fails to do it.

I only know a few words of russian and when I speak it, I tend to sound like an octave higher version of Sylvester Stallone as Rocky Balboa.

:)

why an octave higher?

don't worry about voice types and classification

I agree. It is unnecessary information about voice classification. In all russian forums they keep asking such a question and it seems to be a usual thing there....They always class each other which is wrong to do....So it made me think that it's alright in pop style too....:D

Because I am a high tenor. The absolute lowest note I have ever made before the folds completely let go is an E2. It is very soft and very quiet and I have to be right on the microphone, brushing it with my moustache, and then alter the volume in editing the recording. But in the 4th and 5th octave, I can sing loud enough to hurt my own ears. Or, to put it this way, I am more comfortable singing Led Zeppelin songs than the lowest stuff from Queensryche.

There have been 2 different ways of classifying voices. One is defined by where the passagio is but I have never paid attention to that, though I know technically where it is. The other is to take the lowest possible whole sound you can make, regardless of soft volume and add 3 1/2 octaves to it, the general range of most humans, when trained.

The lowest I can absolutely do, though not very often, is an E2. The highest I have made is C6, though I don't do that every day. My concentration is to make the "middle strong and solid," to sound like one voice throughout my range.

My normal speaking range, without trying to be too high or too low is quite a bit above the natural speaking range of Sylvester Stallone.

I don't know what music you like to listen to or where you envision yourself to be, ultimately.

Thank you for the info about voices, now I know it's more important to sing well than to class oneself. I know my singing range(tessitura) and that's enough for singing in a nice tembre in a comfort zone.

I usually like any kind of music but rap, jazz....I also sing songs in english....

I think you have the perfect voice for jazz, especially some of the older big band stuff. You could probably do stuff along the lines of Sarah Vaughan and Billie Holliday, though with that velvet timbre you have in your voice.

The lowest I can absolutely do, though not very often, is an E2. The highest I have made is C6, though I don't do that every day. My concentration is to make the "middle strong and solid," to sound like one voice throughout my range.

When I sang scales I checked my lowest note - A2, but I can sing only B2. The highest one is D6. But I can sing only in the middle of the 5 th octave....

I should send you a link of me doing "Silent Lucidity" so that you can hear a high and light tenor like me doing a low note. And then these classifications will make even less sense.

:D

Ok, would be nice to listen to....:)

And what is "velvety tembre"?:D

Your voice sounds smooth, like velvet. I just sent you an email. I hope you can click on links to box . com.

And you can still be a little jazzy in other styles. The secret to what Robert Plant did in Led Zeppelin? He thought of himself as a jazz singer and that was helped by the other band mates putting some jazz influence in what they did, no matter how "heavy" the music.

Now I am listening. It will take some time before I answer.:)

That's fine. And you can answer in email. I sent an email, rather than posting here because this is your thread and I did not want to derail or distract from the attention that is rightfully yours.

Foreinger - Your singing is very good. You are very much sounding like a classical singer. Nice legato and good breath support and great vowels. You have a nice pleasant tone and effortless vibrato. If you want to stay in this genre I'd say just keep on doing what you're doing.

geno, thank you very much!

Your post cheers me up! I don't even know if this song is classical or pop, but as far as I remember I heard this song sung in a classical manner if I am not mistaken....I usually sing pop and folk songs. In russian forums they critisize my folk manner in pop songs though I don't hear that at all. But no one has ever told me that I sound like a classical singer. You are the first and the one who told me that and it's a great compliment to me!

Thank you!!!:)