Summer of 69 (Demo)

Rate this topic

I am no pro, so take my input with a grain of salt ;)

Very nice performance Flip! A bit weak or Shivering, but you got a nice tone, and right on pitch. (Except the shiverring, or unwanted vibrato).

Keep it up! :)

You've got a nice, even tone of voice and I like how you sound on this song. If I could point out one thing and I used to do it, myself, a lot. You are "crashing" notes. Fellow member Jonpall pointed this out to me one time and it was immensely helpful. "Crashing" notes is that deflection downward in pitch and volume at the end of a word or phrase.

I spent two weeks, powerless to stop myself from noticing that I did it in both singing and speaking. So, I fixed it with imagining that the note continues after I stop singing it. As in, hold the final note in your mind, even after you quit making a sound.

That being said, there are songs where crashing is done purposefully for an effect. Such as what Bob Seeger does with "Turn the Page."

I don't know if that was your intent here and I admit I was comparing to the phrasing of the original, which may not be a valid place to view from.

Again, Jonpall's comment caused me to notice it in myself.

Thank you for your feedback Ron, I'm not sure as I tend to sing certain songs differently without really noticing...I have more songs posted on the main "social media" portion of this site...see if you see the same phenomena...

Ron

you gave me the same advice on crashing notes in one of my early posts here. It was very helpful and I worked to eliminate it, or at least get it under control. Thanks.

George

And as I pointed out before, Jonpall caught me on that. So, really, we should blame him for cleaning up our phrasing. It's all your fault, Jonpall. See what you have started?

So, I found your media page. And no, you don't crash all of your notes. So, you must have been doing it for stylish effect.

Of the others, I really liked "Last Kiss" and "One (is the loneliest number)."

Of those, you really have a good fit with "One." That should be your number one submission, if you were to submit to an agent or A&R guy. With one thing. The reverb on the vocal is a little too tight. Along with your already tight and fast vibrato, it is washing out the meat in your voice. That being said, I really liked it. No, you don't sound like a copy of Burton, but you sound just as good as he does on that song.

And I also liked "I Just Died in your Arms Tonight"by the Cutting Crew. Good voice, good editing mix on the recording. If I had a choice, I would say to mix 'One" like you did with this song.

But that's just aesthetic considerations on my part. You have a really good voice and excellent pitch control.

Ron, thank you again for the fabulous feedback, really appreciate the compliments! The time between the recordings of One and Died in Your Arms Tonight has been so long I can't remember how I mixed them :D I may play with them once I get back to the States.

Well, Jonpall, over the years, I have come to appreciate some of your wisdom and more importantly, your sense of humor, which is not unlike my own. There are so many times someone leaves an open line and I could slam them so hard, all in fun, and I know it would be taken the wrong way.

For example, a colleague in my industry said that sometimes, people think he is an idiot. I asked," What do you mean, "sometimes"?" :lol: Then immediately chastised myself, "bad ron, bad ron .... "

In the office, we have a running gag, of singing a song dead-pan. My boss has an ipod desk station and a gigantor download of songs. So, we have ample material. Like me singing along with U2 - "with or without jews" to make light of americans' lazy pronunciation of word combinations. Nothing against any religious persuasion.

Anyway, he was singing something in a dead pan voice with the lyric ending if he will be liked? I replied, "only if you stop singing."

Or one of us says to the other, "I'll be back." And other says, "Thanks for the warning."

Or, my favorite, I was talking with our service tech and the boss walked in. I said, "it's the boss, look busy."

I guess you had to be there.

So, Ezra. I may have jumped the gun on how you phrased "Summer of 69." It's often a mistake of other singers, most notably myself. You are a better singer than I was.

These days, my articulation is much cleaner, thanks to precise pointers from Jonpall, and others, like Stew, whom I have not seen here in quite some time.

No worries Ron, again way too kind on the compliments... :D I do tend to try and sing covers as close to the original as I can, but I do sometimes throw in some of my own stylistic curves without even knowing cause it sounds cool to me at that moment :/