I don't sing in front of people because I'm too nervous. Feedback?

• TMV World Legacy Member

Hi all, I just posted my first song to soundcloud. It's really short and a work in progress but I thought I'd post what I have. I just got GarageBand so I made it on there. I wouldn't really sing in front of people "face to face" but I think I'd like to get more involved with music. Maybe voice lessons? Anyway, tell me what you think so far, if you have any tips I would love the help, thanks!

Ps. I can take it if it's terrible! I'd just like to know :)

I have been doing the karaoke bar for around a year now and I still get nervous every time I go up.I agree with ronws, comfort zone and repetitiveness. Its best to make the mic your comfort zone and sing a song you can really get into and enjoy. The more you enjoy the song, the less you are going to care about your audience each time. For me, its always starting the night with some Zeppelin to get me into the "Zone!".

Keep Calm, ROCK ON, and GUNS UP!

I don't mind singing in front of people if it's a song I have confidence in - which is very different thing to having confidence that it sounds good. But there are a few songs that I'm happy I've 'made my own' and what the listeners get is what they get...

However, I've discovered I can't practice in front of people. Going back quite some time I was practicing daily with scales and mums and mooms and all sorts and I started to notice a difference. Then, for various reasons, it turns out there was always someone at home (basically the eldest went to uni, which meant two lectures a week and the rest of the time chilling at home). And I found I was just too self-conscious to make all these sounds and poor attempts at high notes whilst being watched/listened to. The good news is they've almost broken up for Christmas at the local uni and won't be going back until the end of Jan - and the eldest has got a job for this period of time. So I might well get back to mooming very soon.

The most important thing is to be well prepared. Practise, practise and practise until you know the song well and that will boost your confidence. Then it could be a good idea to start sing in front of a small crowd, maybe your family or closest friends, just a few people to begin with and then work your way up.

:) honestly....great tone...

just need to project your voice properly otherwise will be very good cover....and also need to sing with vocal dynamic ..good job....answer mine pls

http://themodernvocalist.punbb-hosting.com/viewtopic.php?id=8448

If i didnt read the post and just heathe music i'd say its a preview of a song. You voice is - for me - without flaws and into the mood of the song. The bad news is that in this song i cant hear many aspects of your voice but if you sing only this kind of songs i think youre ready to go. Also from what i understand you have power for louder stuff and i deffinetely would like to hear something different.

Lastly i believe that you know all that and just want a word of courage, well its up to you to understand that there is just no other way than singing. If you dont want to suddenly sing in front of everyone start humming here and there, small song phrases etc. Thats what i did at least, now i even say may friends goodnight with a ridicoulous - not in a good way - opera voice, do scales, whistle and stuff and i have no good voice... whatever we say you have to understand it and start doing small steps at a time.

I would like hear more from you!