Donny Hathaway Cover "I Love you More than You'll ever Know"

• TMV World Legacy Member

http://vocaroo.com/i/s1eadm7oISEC

Trying to:

-Practice runs--I normally shy away from them altogether

-Practice using range- I'm have it, but I shy away from using it cause I'm not technically apt (self-taught/no lessons)

-Use grit--for some reason, I have a hard time getting a 'grit' in my voice

-Practice modulations

The song has a modulation in it on the bridge. I don't think it's a key change, but I couldn't find an instrumental. I kind of shy away from it and talk it out because it's hard to follow without music.

--Figure out if I'm a tenor or baritone

I know people say it doesn't matter, but I want to get lessons someday (my voice has finally settled/isn't changing/I smoke infrequently)

Help? Thankx. This is a 1 take cover with a laptop mic; it's a rough draft. I think it's "OK" but I need help in certain places I'm sure.

Were you singing to some backing that we can't hear?

Your range sound Baritone to me, if you think that matters.

Quite nice to listen to. There is some falling back into talking (not singing) in the lower part of your range, like a bluesy Rex Harrison. In the higher notes you dont have the vibrato that you have in the middle of your range, this maybe implies some tension or breathing changes needed. I am working on the same thing, I am few weeks in. Seeing a vocal coach in person has helped me a lot.

You don't need to wait for your voice to "settle down" before getting lessons.

George can often be found playing electric stringy things, and singing... [url=https://soundcloud.com/george-williams-8]and then this happens[/url]

Were you singing to some backing that we can't hear?

Your range sound Baritone to me, if you think that matters.

Quite nice to listen to. There is some falling back into talking (not singing) in the lower part of your range, like a bluesy Rex Harrison. In the higher notes you dont have the vibrato that you have in the middle of your range, this maybe implies some tension or breathing changes needed. I am working on the same thing, I am few weeks in. Seeing a vocal coach in person has helped me a lot.

You don't need to wait for your voice to "settle down" before getting lessons.

Nah, I'm actually just pretending I'm singing as I would if there were backing. I had the backing in college and lost it; it's not easy to find.

I CAN add vibrato, but I kept hearing that I "overused" it on my last cover here, in which I do the last high note with heavy vibrato. When I did that, people kept saying it was too "classical" sounding.

I'm not really sure if my upper is healthy or not; it doesn't hurt and I can do it for long periods of time, but it's a big departure from my talking voice, which is more along the lines of the lowest notes there (which I am basically talking, as you said).

Yeah, I def could use a coach. I'm kind of doing this as a hobby and am working on finishing up Grad school, which doesn't relate to this at all. Hopefully I can get it ironed out after.

Thanx! Glad I didn't annoy with those overzealous, child-of-90s-R&B-radio-domination runs :cool:

some parts you are pushing too hard your voice in places you coud smooth to not bring you pitch problems but it reminds me of Pavaroti, and it's really nice to listen; if you can reduce the smoke part or finish you know why ^_^ really good!

I enjoyed it brother. My only question would be is the low register easy for you to reach or do you feel a slight push to get there? If so breathe deep like your about to yamn and go for the note! Your tone is awesome on the ending of I might as Well note. That is where I heard purity and soul. I was like wow this dude has an awesome voice. Keep singing man and remember your gifts matter.