Taking the leap of faith! :p

• TMV World Legacy Member

Hi! So, I'm a newbie vocalist that has so far only sang along with one other friend and a bottle of whiskey, as explained in my introduction topic. I figured the best way to check if there's hope for me is to join a forum and ask people (that aren't my best friends). Believe it or not, I'm fairly nervous about this, as I didn't realise just how bad I sound until I actually recorded myself and listened to that.

I also assume someone would want to slap me for the songs I chose to record, but I did them as those are some of the "regular" songs that mentioned friend and I do when we get drunk. :D

Ok, here goes:

These are Run to the Hills by Iron Maiden and I Believe in a Thing Called Love by The Darkness, and I succesfully butchered both, acompanied by blurred lyrics, cat noises, being off-rhythm and bad imitation of Dickinson's vibrato (all recorded on a 10 dollar mic, just for you).

So be frank and feel free to annihilate me, I need objective opinions! :) And thanks in advance!

You did better on the Darkness song, though the main verses are a bit low.

Run to the Hills was not your strong suit. The song requires a stronger delivery or intensity of emotion. But your pitch is good, which is the largest chunk of the work to be done.

If you got some lessons or spent some time studying the voice, you might be able to iron out that elusive middle. Of course, that means giving it some dedication instead of bragging about your drinking.

It may come as a surprise, but most of the singers here are not impressed by how well you do drunk. They will applaud how well you do, period.

From an aesthetic standpoint, you seem bored by what you are doing. Can you find some interest in singing?

Doesn't sound bad at all as I listened to some of this on my iPhone earlier. For some reason my MacBookPro doesn't always like Soundcloud as all I get is silence. It sounds like you've been singing for many years if only in private. Sure you've got potential. You're already ahead of many beginners. I'm one of those who believes anyone who wants to sing CAN sing. No one is born with a bad instrument. It's about how bad you want to improve and how much work you are willing to put into it.

Oddly enough, I'm sure I sent this message already but it didn't post for whatever reason. :/ Anyway, you guys have been really nice for the start, I expected worse. :D

You did better on the Darkness song, though the main verses are a bit low.

Run to the Hills was not your strong suit. The song requires a stronger delivery or intensity of emotion. But your pitch is good, which is the largest chunk of the work to be done.

If you got some lessons or spent some time studying the voice, you might be able to iron out that elusive middle. Of course, that means giving it some dedication instead of bragging about your drinking.

It may come as a surprise, but most of the singers here are not impressed by how well you do drunk. They will applaud how well you do, period.

From an aesthetic standpoint, you seem bored by what you are doing. Can you find some interest in singing?

Maybe I could have sang The Darkness song in a bit higher key, as of now there's a huge leap from normal voice and falseto. The main verse are actually tones of my speaking voice, if that means anything to you.

Yeah, stupid thing is that even I knew I wouldn't sing that one too well. Problem is, I don't think I have a good voice generally for rock music, which is what I'd like to do, eventually. :P I seem to do slightly better at songs of higher pitch, but then my poor range of barely over two octaves comes as an obstacle (though I imagine that my range would also increase with practice).

I didn't state how much or how often I drink, which happens to be barely one or two times per every three months, so that's hardly bragging, it's just a fact that I find to be a problem I'd like to get rid of. But fine, I'll remember to leave that detail out in the future.

I find great interest in singing, but that's how I sound. I don't yet know how to colour my voice differently, whatever else I tried to do with it sounded really stupid. Not sure if this question is yet answerable (or at all) but do you think you could propose a different song that you think might suit my voice better? Or at the very least somethin for practice instead of choosing songs that may currently be out of my league (like the ones I recorded)?

Doesn't sound bad at all as I listened to some of this on my iPhone earlier. For some reason my MacBookPro doesn't always like Soundcloud as all I get is silence. It sounds like you've been singing for many years if only in private. Sure you've got potential. You're already ahead of many beginners. I'm one of those who believes anyone who wants to sing CAN sing. No one is born with a bad instrument. It's about how bad you want to improve and how much work you are willing to put into it.

Thanks! I also believe anyone with at least a bit good ear can learn to sing, and I do hope I'll improve a lot. I certainly want to! :)