Silverstein - My Heroine Acoustic Cover

• TMV World Legacy Member

Hopefully you guys can give critique to this cover so that i can improve and fix my singing technique. I really appreciate every harsh and honest critique. Thanks :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O72GiHeDWtU

I already knew a few songs from this band from a few years ago, but I didn't know this one. I like your cover a lot more than the original, I think the tone you're using here fits the song really well, and improves the original. I like that it's acoustic, since it feels more intimate, and even more that the screamed vocals are removed and you made them melodic and clean. Really cool! Especially on "You won't try to save me", it works perfectly with the melody you added.

"The journey in between what you once were and who you are now becoming is where the dance of life really takes place."
-B. De Angelis

My SoundCloud

I already knew a few songs from this band from a few years ago, but I didn't know this one. I like your cover a lot more than the original, I think the tone you're using here fits the song really well, and improves the original. I like that it's acoustic, since it feels more intimate, and even more that the screamed vocals are removed and you made them melodic and clean. Really cool! Especially on "You won't try to save me", it works perfectly with the melody you added.

But actually the original also sometimes perform live in acoustic version for this song, and i really love it because he sings without any screaming part, plus i cant scream :P Anyway thanks for the feedback.

Oh ya you did a great job on the drop of jupiter, i even thinking to try cover that song next because your singing really inspired me. i dont have much knowledge in singing and you're too good to be judged by me so im scare to drop any feedback :P

I was going to tell you to clean up the ah but you did that in the second half, especially the louder part. At first, you were rolling forward toward aw which was having an odd tuning effect.

And your articulation got better in the second half, as well. That happens to me, too. I start out ill-fitting and then fine my place, later and get in the groove. So, maybe we can learn, together, to get the vowel right from the start.

I was not familiar with the song all that much but your version lets me know it's a good song and I am not concerned with hearing the original. I like the song just from you singing it.

And go ahead and comment on Java's cover. So far, I am the only one to do so and I am not an expert. Here is why your input is valuable. Because you are part of the audience.

It doesn't matter how technically awesome we are, or are not. Because the audience responds, or they don't.

A few times, someone has told me I am pitchy somewhere. And 9 times out of 10, I was not but it sounded odd to them. And the repeated listening led me to a spot where I really was pitchy and no one caught it, so, I still learned. And just about everytime I was pitchy or the intonation was odd was because it was a "dirty" vowel sound and cleaning it up solved the problem.

Plus, believe it or not, I am learning how to record and post-edit, which is just as important a skill as the singing. I can't be there to hear you sing this in the same room. And you cannot be here to physically hear me abusing the guitar and a song in person. All we have are these recordings we share with each other. So, how it is recorded and edited makes a difference.

I was going to tell you to clean up the ah but you did that in the second half, especially the louder part. At first, you were rolling forward toward aw which was having an odd tuning effect.

And your articulation got better in the second half, as well. That happens to me, too. I start out ill-fitting and then fine my place, later and get in the groove. So, maybe we can learn, together, to get the vowel right from the start.

I was not familiar with the song all that much but your version lets me know it's a good song and I am not concerned with hearing the original. I like the song just from you singing it.

And go ahead and comment on Java's cover. So far, I am the only one to do so and I am not an expert. Here is why your input is valuable. Because you are part of the audience.

It doesn't matter how technically awesome we are, or are not. Because the audience responds, or they don't.

A few times, someone has told me I am pitchy somewhere. And 9 times out of 10, I was not but it sounded odd to them. And the repeated listening led me to a spot where I really was pitchy and no one caught it, so, I still learned. And just about everytime I was pitchy or the intonation was odd was because it was a "dirty" vowel sound and cleaning it up solved the problem.

Plus, believe it or not, I am learning how to record and post-edit, which is just as important a skill as the singing. I can't be there to hear you sing this in the same room. And you cannot be here to physically hear me abusing the guitar and a song in person. All we have are these recordings we share with each other. So, how it is recorded and edited makes a difference.

Thanks rowns like always you gonna give me something for me to work on :D

Anyway first of all about 'clean up the ah', is it i have to sing with more vocal closure and less breathy?

And then what about the 'rolling forward toward aw which was having an odd tuning effect.' Thats quite confusing for someone like me :P

Then, how to clean up "dirty" vowel sound? Is there any exercises or trick for it? Anyway yes i kinda interested to learn to properly do a recording and those mix and mastering skills. But whenever i look for tutorial online, its really confusing and mess up my mind xD

Anyway really thankful for your feedback rowns! :)

Thanks David and Amir for the feedback really appreciate it. By the way im using cheap dynamic mic, so im not sure whether good mixing can help to make my final mix sounds better :P

nice job man! Great energy!

thanks keith!

anyway anyone here can explain what is mean by rowns about the 'clean the ah' and 'singing towards aw'?? what should i do actually? >.<

In the beginning, on sounds that should have been an italian ah, it sounded more like aw, which is slightly more nasal.

That's the hard part about describing ah. I know of some southern american accents where they ah but it sounds like the short a in cat. Anyway, you do a better ah later in the song, on the higher and louder parts. So, simply, do that some more.

In the beginning, on sounds that should have been an italian ah, it sounded more like aw, which is slightly more nasal.

That's the hard part about describing ah. I know of some southern american accents where they ah but it sounds like the short a in cat. Anyway, you do a better ah later in the song, on the higher and louder parts. So, simply, do that some more.

Okay i think i understand that now, and i know why that happen. on the earlier part, i tried to hard to maintain the tone to become consistent, not too loud and doesn't use too much head voice. that probably causes the problem, by the way thanks rowns! :)