Burn Deep Purple

• TMV World Legacy Member

Bravo for taking on a difficult song. I have toyed with the idea of covering this song. Probably 5 people, some having nothing to do with all this singer tech stuff, have compared me to Glenn Hughes, who sang this song with David Coverdale when they were both in the band. I have covered one of Glenn's songs when he was with Black Sabbath.

You have a heavier, more pressed sound. By the end, I thought, this is what it would sound like if Bruce Dickinson sang with a brighter tone.

I thought it was neat because it brought a different flavor to a blast from the past. The articulation was a little diffuse, probably because this is all high range and articulation will often take second seat to note accuracy and volume, as it should be.

No, for a totally aesthetic review, based on what I like about your voice and as a listener. You technically did this song well. And I have liked your voice more on other songs you have done. Which doesn't mean anything, technically. Just that I think this was not quite a match for your voice, do you did well.

And I have been in your shoes. It took me a while to get used to the idea of people thinking that I would sound better on Neil Young songs. And then, they turn out to be right. :lol:

As for my Glenn Hughes cover, I don't think I sounded enough like him, not as much as other people could hear it and I don't know who's right or wrong. Nor, these days, do I care.

Again, good effort and I have liked your voice more on other things. But don't let that stop you from singing whatever you want to sing. I certainly don't let it stop me.

I thought it was a good effort. I don't really have any technical notes but as far as execution two things stand out for me. One is the drive behind the vocal. It was just a tad weak compared to the original especially on the word "burn." But that may be my personal taste as far as this song goes. Who knows? The other thing was the timing. It felt/sounded to me like you were playing catchup throughout the song, which is understandable because this song is a monster! Overall, nice job man :)

@Ronws, this song has a special place for me. About a year back, I tried to audition for a band. This was one of the songs that they asked me to sing. At that point I was not good enough. So in my mind this was a song I just HAD to cover, whether this matched my voice or not became a secondary concern :) I personally think the range for me is quite comfortable for this song. But like you mention, the song is too fast for me to articulate all the words correctly. I love trying to sing various kinds of songs. I believe human voices are incredibly versatile and I am trying to find my sweet spot and the kind of songs that sound good on my voice..

@Clint. I think the original song on the word "Burn" is double or triple tracking and that might explain the comparatively weaker tone. I really do not know how to solve the timing issue during recording. I tried to record the first take with the music on, but this does not help with the pitch accuracy. When I try to do some re-takes, I do it with just the vocals and it could possibly lead to timing issues. Another thing is that I am using a new DAW(reaper) which I am still learning and I am not aware of how to handle some of these issues..

Perhaps for Christmas, I can wish for a buddy who is really skilled in recording! :D