You Ain't Seen Nothin' Yet- BTO

• TMV World Legacy Member

I once had a moment of Vocal freedom, It started with this song while driving down the highway. I thought I would try to capture the muse again and see if I can tame it this time.

It didn't work...... But I do hear improvement.

Any comments welcome.

"You need a strong foundation to reach the heights."

I did enjoy it, but I think your vocals could be turned a little louder, or mixed a little brighter. They kind of feel distant and muffled in the background. You might be able to tweak with an EQ, and do subtle boosts/cuts to bring more presence and high range.

As for the technique, it is improving, but I feel a bit at a loss for how to tweak it closer. The problem is I can't picture how to reproduce your timbre here. A lot of times I suspect I've done something similar to what another singer is doing and can try to think of a tweak to send it in a good direction, but this tone feels foreign. The only thing I can think of is maybe modifying the vowel slightly closer to 'ehr,' twang it up, support really well, and just go for it.It might give it more bite in the mix without becoming a completely different voice. And if you were to over do that attempt, you might be able to dial it back. 

On a side note, I always thought it was weird how BTO could just flat out grab Baba Oreily's riff like that and get a massive hit. I wonder if they caught flack back in the day? Certainly before my time. Keep it coming, and feel free to give it another shot. It feels to me like this is a song you can nail. I wish I had better advice, if anyone else has produced a similar tone and it sounds familar, hopefully they can help you more.

Thanks for listening Killer.

The vocals getting lost is from the way I have to transfer to computer. I am recording on an obsolete digital recorder, recording to audacity through the mic jack on the computer then exporting to Mp3 three file and then uploading to soundcloud. In each of these steps the mix gets changed through the other programs defaults. The Bass gets boosted each time and the treble gets cut.

I wouldn't want you try to match the timbre of my voice. I don't want it either but you make due with what you have. The sound is like having the bass and treble on 10 and the mids on 0. It plays hell on a PA.

As for the Baba O'Reily There is a limited amount of rhythm riffs you can come up with. Most of the time a basic rhythm is covered up by a different drum pattern or Bass line and it will mask it a little. Alice Coopers' "Be my Lover" is the same rhythm Pattern/Riff on the Verse 1,5,4 The only difference is that "Be My Lover" goes to the Low 5 instead of the High 5.

It's a great song and reminds me of being at a lake party, guest of the Banshees MC.

If you want, MDEW, send me the tracks and see if I can re-mix it. Even if it's a single track of everything, I might be able to do something.

And there is no stopping of ripping off progressions. "Sweet Child of Mine" towards the end is the same progression as "I Want to Change the World."

Foo Fighters have a new song with a chord progression that is the exact same as "Holy Diver."

Styx's "Sweet Madame Blue" is the same chord progression as "Babe, I'm Gonna Leave you" by Led Zeppelin. No one can copyright, for example, the chord progression of D - C - G, but you can copyright your treatment of it. That's the opening progression of "More Than a Feeling" by Boston.

Thanks Ronws, I think I am going to play with this a little more over the next few days. I will send you an Mp3 or the Audacity Project file to mix when I am finished.

I am trying a few new things with my voice to fix my Timbre. This seems like a good song to work with. Speaking of that...Do you hear the same thing that I do...Bass and Treble but no mid frequencies to speak of in my voice?