Kris Kristofferson - Casey's Last Ride

• TMV World Legacy Member

You have great control over pitch and it is a good performance. Now I wasn't sure how to picture your voice during your first track, but you do have a naturally low voice. I heard you hit a D2 with no vocal fry which was stronger than my morning voice. So it's naturally a heavier voice than average.

That said, are I'd like you to go and listen to the section starting at 1:09 and compare it with the first section. The timbre 'lightens' a great deal. It's not just that it grows breathy, but it 'lightens' and shades of weight are lifted off. And it's still resonant with low richness. Like a lower Elvis maybe. 

I'm wondering if there a place between those two extremes vocally? Cause on the lighter breathier section, at least to my ears, a it sounds like maybe the larynx is a bit more neutral. And on the weighty section it sounds like full bore larynx dropped and twanging.

Convincing low notes aren't an issue for you as a singer. In some ways lightening your voice might make you more accessible or commercial. A lot of people talk a bit lighter. I'm wondering if you were to make the voice in 1:09 - 1:50 less breathy, maybe 'some' twang (not truck loads), but save some of the big boom for the lowest notes or for words that need more thunderous inflection, if it might sound more natural to the average person? As is, it sounds like there is a gap where you might have room to be more conversational as an artist there. A lot of this kind of country does sound somewhat conversational to me. 

Anyway, it's ultimately your art form and the current version is well done so either way I look forward to hearing more.

Thanks for the feedback!

I thought it was cool. Are you sure you are not the singer from Crash Test Dummies, incognito?

m/

Haha!

Now that you mentioned, Im about to check out their discography.

Apart from Mmmm and that superhero song, I haven't heard any of their other material.

Those were their biggest hits. Which doesn't mean they aren't good.

I saw a show of the Replacements and they have plenty of good contemporary music going on but most people only know them for "500 Miles" from the soundtrack of "Benny and Joon." And they still do plenty of gigs in their homeland of Scotland, as well as elsewhere in the UK.