Drunken Beatles Covers

• TMV World Legacy Member

You should try to get something closer to at your best, man. I don't fully know what to critique. Sometimes it's kind of riding along ok, other times it's falling apart a bit, but you already know that.

You don't need to comp something perfect, but maybe any performance that is at least at your medium best. Showing yourself at your worst means we would critique things you already know how to fix. 

It doesn't have to be perfect. That Queen cover I comped was literally where I listened to the song one time, then gave about 2-3 takes per section.  Maybe 30 to an hour spent learning and singing? Some would say that's incredibly lazy and they might be right, but I have about 3 hours of loud time if I'm lucky each day and I'm not going to spend it all on covering random songs.

But still, I gave my best effort within that time frame, which is more useful for people to hear.

i don't record a lot, and in college dorms i don't ever get the chance to record

https://soundcloud.com/tearoomorchestra/cigarette-demo-18/s-iYgtk

ok jeremy told me to post this instead.  its one of my old originals

i sang the track for this well over a year ago, it's not finished.  it's a lead vocal with a lower harmony, and then all the big harmonies behind it.  and some awful midi crap.  i've been meaning to remake this track for over 9 months now once i get studio time.

I love those Electric Light Orchesta-esque harmonies at 0:49

cPOh14H.png

i don't record a lot, and in college dorms i don't ever get the chance to record

https://soundcloud.com/tearoomorchestra/cigarette-demo-18/s-iYgtk

ok jeremy told me to post this instead.  its one of my old originals

i sang the track for this well over a year ago, it's not finished.  it's a lead vocal with a lower harmony, and then all the big harmonies behind it.  and some awful midi crap.  i've been meaning to remake this track for over 9 months now once i get studio time.

That's cool. I'm also impressed by the backing harmonies. I can never get that many layers of harmony to blend that smoothly in a mix. I've heard it's a combination of panning, EQ, mic distance, and using varying amounts of air in the voice to get frequencies to stop overlapping, but applying this theory has been difficult. 

The lead has a quirky but polished enough sound to have an indie kind of appeal. I like it. I think a potential destination vocal might be necessary to know where you'd want to go from there technique wise. I don't hear anything that sounds strained or damaging, and you are on pitch enough to harmonize. Is there anything you are currently struggling with, if anything? 

As for recording, if you have a cell phone, laptop with a mic or webcam, any kind of portable device, it might be worth looking into for recording away from home at louder volumes to be able to hear that side of your technique, even if not to record here. Booking studio time is expensive.

I forgive you. (you asked for forgiveness.)  :lol:

And don't worry about lapses in playing. I get that sometimes, on songs I have been playing longer than you have been alive.

My memory is what I forget with.

I like your voice and you've got the right tone. If you wanted to be in a Beatles cover band, you would do well.