Original song, looking for guidance

• TMV World Legacy Member

Wow this is about as terrifying as singing in front of people in real life haha

I'm new and looking for a starting point. I used to work in a voice studio as a receptionist and received voice lessons as a bonus (speech level singing) but that was a few years back. I'm so frustrated with my voice, I don't know what to do with it.

I'm often flat, can't seem to get any power into my voice, and there's often this tight, restricted quality. Here's an original song, I have more samples if needed

What should I focus on? Help help help please :)

https://dl-web.dropbox.com/get/Public/lose.mp3?_subject_uid=5659894&w=AABDc7zX5_6DHKekQbDMgU7zb7U_RQ-98rYMOj3ypLXhmA

• Administrator

Hi Honeysuckle... its great to have you here! The links seems to be working. 

I love your profile picture.. really classy, lovely.

Your Song:

I don't blow sunshine... 

Your voice is gorgeous. You have wonderful color in your voice and a healthy instrument. 

This song needs work however...

2:10 - 2:53... this sound great. The emotional output and genuine "felt" singing in it is good.... 

However... I can hear what your going for and your melody and groove is fantastic... but in a sense, you missing your own melody. tighten up the rhythmic cues. the cues are too often too early or late and that is killing your "groove".

Keep dampening that larynx like that, you have GREAT warmth in your voice when you dampen... 

In your recording, add more compression if you haven't already, its a little hot and brittle.. Compression will do a lot to help. Higher "threshold" settings. 

Piano was really nice as well... 

Nice work!

• TMV World Legacy Member

Thanks for the great feedback Robert! I definitely get what you're saying, I can't keep a beat for the life of me, I don't even play the piano just fiddled around best I could. My husband just got my guitar so I hope to practice more of the instrumental side of things

Can you tell me what dampening the larynx means? I know what the larynx is lol just not that term. Or I will google it...probably do that right now...

• Administrator

Well, Dampening means two things typically in voice technique... its a term used to soften the amplification in the voice, or the definition I am referring to is a subtle lowering of the larynx for the purpose of increasing the size of the vocal tract, so that warmer harmonics can be amplified in the formant/vowel. Larynx dampening also provides stability to the larynx, aiding in belting, passaggio bridging and sustaining big sounds in the head voice. When we dampen the larynx, we are also "anchoring" the larynx, they roughly mean the same thing. 

Here is a video I did on the topic that has been popular... its a bit dated, but it seems to work for a lot of people.